valve cover inside plate gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve cover inside plate gaskets?

well im doing some cleaning on a dohc bp valve cover( siting in the parts washer now)
    well on the inside of the valve cover there are those 3 plates with the screws that hold them in, well when reinstalling them, do these need sealant put back on them? when i pulled them off i noticed they had gaskets on them and i don't know if i can get them at the parts store or from mazda or ford (doubtfull and if they have them at the stealership ther probably whay over priced), what kind of sealent should i use? i pulled these off before on a diffrent motor and can't even remember if i put sealant on them or not or if i did what i used.
    thanks
    5 boosted bp cars,why...

Originally posted by ryan1 View Post
    well im doing some cleaning on a dohc bp valve cover( siting in the parts washer now)
    well on the inside of the valve cover there are those 3 plates with the screws that hold them in, well when reinstalling them, do these need sealant put back on them? when i pulled them off i noticed they had gaskets on them and i don't know if i can get them at the parts store or from mazda or ford (doubtfull and if they have them at the stealership ther probably whay over priced), what kind of sealent should i use? i pulled these off before on a diffrent motor and can't even remember if i put sealant on them or not or if i did what i used.
    thanks
    I used blue RTV on these when I did my SOHC. Probably not absolutely necessary. They are just baffles and aren't under pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by cat34evr View Post
      I used blue RTV on these when I did my SOHC. Probably not absolutely necessary. They are just baffles and aren't under pressure.
      thanks anyone else
      5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

not really necessary but if you do use a sealant, get one that is oil resistant so it does not break down and go into the engine
        I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
        |.....Overnight....................| ||
        |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
        |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
        "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
        Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

I just used high temp silicone with a small bead on it... make sure it's oil resistant which it should be if it's engine silicone. Bob's your uncle and call it a day...

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
          Member of MX-3.com
          1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
          1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Working...
          X