Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sock's BP-Swappin' 323 Project Thread (Comments Appreciated!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SgtRauksauff View Post
    lol. I just find it interesting that the 323 looks a LOT like the starlet.
    Except that the track width is 75mm wider on a 323 vs. an AE86. Fat rubber ahoy
    I peered out from the castle window and looked over the splendor of ROTM county. Yes, twas' a much simpler time back then. Peasants would go about their postings, and I, the mod, would rule over them with an iron fist.

Comment

not wider than MY AE86....

NRCAs widen it by 50mm, then I've got 7mm spacers on each front wheel so the tires don't rub the struts. so the 323 is only 1mm wider than that, BUT don't forget that the 323 uses FWD offset wheels, 38mm or so, to bring the wheel center inside the hub mounting surface. I think that photo I'm running 14x7 with a -9mm offset with that photo.

Just keep in mind, the Fwd/rwd offset might make things a bit funky, maybe even promote unfavorable oversteer due to the track width change.

--sarge
      Last edited by SgtRauksauff; 11-03-2011, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I question the potential funky handling issues, because the car is going to essentially be a AE86 with a 323 body? What is the wheel base difference between the two cars?
        Dominic Toretto rocks a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"

My Work Log:http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46003

sigpic

Comment

50mm iirc
          I peered out from the castle window and looked over the splendor of ROTM county. Yes, twas' a much simpler time back then. Peasants would go about their postings, and I, the mod, would rule over them with an iron fist.

Comment

are you making the same track width front and rear, and just using the AE86 axle in the back as well? then no probs. I was for some reason thinking narrower track width in front compared to rear.

Is that just an SR5 model corolla? what are you going to do regarding the rear diff? are you going to LSD-ify it?

here's my gas tank just so you can see the differences.

speaking of gas tank, what're you doing for yours, just a cell?

--sarge

Comment

Got the donor all cut up.

Now to clean up the garage so I have room to get the tunnel sorted on the 323. I kept lots of sheet metal from the Corolla to use.

Comment

looking good lover
                -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

I figured since this thread was for the BP swap, I'll keep it about that.

Any questions/etc, please feel free to post. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

The RWD thread is being being moved to this thread to keep things sorted a bit better.

Comment

I wish the pic hosting site the OP used originally didn't screw up. Would love to see some illustrations. Gonna try to do the same thing to my '90 323 SE automatic.

Does anyone know if I can use the 323s harnesses with the Ford BP, 5spd, and ecu? I may not have access to an actual donor car...

Comment

Working...
                    X