Mazdaspeed protege differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazdaspeed protege differences

Im trying to find someone very familiar with the different protege packages. What I am trying to find out is what are the differences from the standard protege lets say ES to the Mazdaspeed?

I know theres the suspension part differences but is all the geometry and pick up points the same?

is the motor just had different internals and the turbo hardware installed or is it a completely different engine code?

why I am asking all of this is im in the process of building a road race car or two. im wanting to run the mazdaspeed protege. so if i can im going to be building it from a shell anyways so im wanting to see if its just parts that were added and nothing actually different. That way I can pick up a cheaper shell instead of having to buy a running or more expensive mazdaspeeed

thanks!
    CJ

internals aren't different, there might be some mild changes in the head but the block is the same + turbo. swaybars upgraded brakes struts?? i know the springs are mildly better. it has a limited slip differential as well
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

What I have gathered is a T25 turbo but couldnt tell if the motor was different. different shock / spring package front and rear. LSD diff. and a bunch of accessories.

my biggest thing was just is there any differences in suspension geometry, factory reinforcing / lightening ( like the Type R integra vs reg. teg.) and so on.

it is alot cheaper to build two clones than to build two real mazdaspeed's.

thanks!
      CJ

Comment

The uni-body is the same between all the 3rd Gen Proteges.

Comment

See this for what is needed to convert from an ES to a Mazdaspeed engine wise http://www.imazda.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13963

Comment

I can give you a run down as the differences between the ES and the MSP.....
            The MSP upgrades an engine oil cooler and a garret t25 turbo. It loses the vics intake manifold for a more turbo friendly manifold. The exhaust is 2.25 ID (inside diameter). Other than that, same engine. Nothing is done internally to it. If you really want it to hold boost, change the pistons and rods. Leave the compression the same @ 9.2:1

14.500@95.68 mph naturally aspirated
            '94 Protege LX 5 speed "grooved" 34mpg average

Comment

Originally posted by blackshine007 View Post
              It loses the vics intake manifold for a more turbo friendly manifold.
              I'm pretty sure all the Mazda 2.0L FS-DE motors had the exact same intake manifold except for the MP3 which had the exact same manifold minus the VTCS butterflies. They were all variable volume manifolds controlled by the VICS system.

Comment

would the MP3 intake be worth more power if the mazdaspeed does have the VICS sytem?

thanks again for all of the help!!

CJ

Comment

Originally posted by JRDbuilt View Post
                  would the MP3 intake be worth more power if the mazdaspeed does have the VICS sytem?

thanks again for all of the help!!

CJ
                  The VTCS system is easily removable so no need to hunt down a rare MP3 manifold. If you want a high flow manifold for the 2.0L motor you need the 2000-2001 Mazda 2.0L 626 manifold. It's a single runner manifold and is much better for F/I cars than the 3rd Gen Protege manifolds.

Comment

Lex awesome link!!!

Comment

All 93-97 probe and mx6 2.0's had the single runner IM also. For those years only the ZE had the VICS system.

Internally the motor is stock. Other protege racers have found that they start to lose oil pressure after about 20 minutes of constant wot. All factory pumps are built to the wide end of factory spec so they have developed coated pump gears to solve the issue.

The brakes are functionally interchangeable with stock 98+626 V6 brakes and early 6 brakes. Same size and the exact same rotors and pads. So dont bother buying the $800 conversion kit or looking for a used set.

The later model 6 has 11.8" fronts instead of the 11.1" rotors used on the cars mentioned above.

The ms6 brakes will also fit.

I dont know what size the sway bars are on any proto but the front 26mm bar from the mx6 and some 626's and 28mm bars that came on all probes and some 626's are a direct swap as are all aftermarket bars for the GE cars.

The rear bars are all 12mm except for the 98+ 626 witch come in either 14 or 16mm.

Larger than most stock proto bars but some came with 18mm rears.

Genuine msp struts are expensive so you should look for other options.

PM me if you want more detailed information on parts interchange.

Comment

awesome information!!!! this is the kind of stuff im looking for.

CJ

Comment

Working...
                        X