This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equal length axles why the hell not.

This has been my back burner project for about 2 years now.
    The amount of wheel hop on my car has always been unacceptable. Even more so when boosted. And its not surprising when you compare the lengths of the axles the passenger side is like 3 times the size of the driver side. Also if you've every gotten the car even a little airborne you no doubt heard the long freak axle grinding on the control arm. Yes its that piss poor engineered.

Any way I've been going thru the part numbers for it and I'm going to post them up here for ****s and grins
    Stub Shaft
    f05525700b(mtx) msrp $235.29
    This comes on 1.6l mx3s as well as abs and cali emissions 2nd gen.

I current have an atx shaft
    f05625700c that I hope will work. If not it will be off to the bone yard. The only reason I would imagine it wouldn't is that it will be to short or long. Mocked up to the block and tranny it looked fine but I never did install it. Probably should have.

Axle
    FA082550XRMC(mtx) msrp $131.40 core of $85
    This is listed from 1996 - 1997 z5 w/abs and 1998 z5 california w/abs

Why is it like that? I have no idea. And its going to make me check one more time at the parts store as the axle they gave me for 98 abs was the same as the one I have that's for the 1st gen/mx3 that was too short.

using the auto zone site I believe the part number is 7742.Which isn't the part number they pulled up for me at the store.
    I can't confirm this as I don't physically have one. Its $156 including the $45 core.

So at max this is a $200 project assuming a junkyard half shaft and autozone axle

But if you do feel like buying OEM new please consider onlinemazdaparts.com
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

honestly I should of done this a long time ago. It was easy once I got the parts sorted out.

On pulling my new trans I was lucky enough to find an abs equipped 2nd gen.
    This means I found a stock half shaft set up. And I got to compare it to the Mx-3 set up.

They both bolt up and fit in the trans. However the mx-3 unit is a poor design compared to the 2nd gen one. Perhaps that's why the mx-3 parts look up now gives you this one. I'd suggest going thru the trouble of finding a 2nd gen one.

Why?

The "equal" lengths mx-3 axle isn't very equal on the 2nd gen. While there's probably enough wiggle room if you rebooted it slightly you wouldn't get the true advantage of almost equal length axles.

The top cv is the drivers side. Its almost the same size as the passenger side. And the mx-3 one is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches longer at the minimum.

I don't have time to measure things. Do it yourself.

So in the end here's what changes

This is what the 3 bolts look like. You should be removing the half shaft anyway, but just in case.

I'm disappointed in myself it took me so long to do this. I dislike cv joints and put off touching them at all cost. I haven't launched the hell out of it yet because I just replaced the trans and I'd like to baby it for a bit and then abuse it before my window to return it expires.

Also the autozone part number for the passenger axle is 7744N it was $70 with no core.
    Last edited by Kitty; 07-07-2008, 10:37 PM.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

quite an excellent find!!! stickied
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
        |.....Overnight....................| ||
        |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
        |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
        "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
        Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

A lovely post by Nate as always.

Going thru the fsm today, looking for torque specs, I came accross the "standard" length for the axles.

Left axles 25.6-25.9 inches( 649-959mm)

Z5
          Right axle 36.6-36.9 inches(928-938mm) this is the freak axle you're wanting to get rid of

Right axle cali 23.5-23.8 inches (596-605mm)

BP
          Right axle 25.3-25.5 inches (641-650mm)

So about 1/2 an inch difference in the BP's axle lengths and 1 3/4 in the z5's using the median measurement.

Sill hell of a lot better than the almost foot on the stock set up.
          Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

Working...
          X