This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil feed line banjo bolt alternative

Well I was searching around for a new banjo bolt for the oil feed because the 1 I got I didn't feel comfortable useing as it looks a little twisted. So I hit KOI autoparts. The bring me over to this "help" rack and the only banjo bolt they have is for a gm brake line. Well we took it out of the package and everything is identical except 2 little things.

1: The bolt is 2-3 threads shorter. I was told that the oem bolt twists in quite a bit so its not a problem.

2: the outlet for the oil on the side isn't open all the way thru like the oem bolt. I will fix that problem with a drill bit

Pics will be up later tonight as the wifey,last night, wanted to ummm......yea well the pics will be up later.

BTW the oem banjo bolt runs 17 from the dealer and I think you can go online and get it for 15. This bolt cost me less than 5 bones
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

All I got out of this was test sex. Whats the thread about again?
    I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
    |.....Overnight....................| ||
    |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
    |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
    "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
    Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Originally posted by wheresthericego View Post
      All I got out of this was test sex. Whats the thread about again?
      You only read what catches your eye don't ya?
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

I had to reread it a few times. Why don't you use a AN oil feed?
        I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Its part of my "boosting on a budget" thread........and no that thread isn't made yet lol
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

Buy parts twice, way to have a budget

Comment

You can get stainless oil line for like $20 with fittings.
              Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
              kitty, you are a hilarious woman
              Originally posted by HopelessCow
              there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
              Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

**** I thought they were more than that. I know the AN **** isn't cheap

Comment

Here's what I found.

1st pic: OEM mazda bolt is on the right and the autoparts store GM brake banjo bolt is on the left.

2nd pic: Same side for both parts. See how much bigger the OEM bolt hole is and how it goes all the way thru? I was thinking to drill hole on the autoparts store bolt all the way thru with the same size hole as OEM. What do you guys think?

3rd pic: Again see how much more of a hole the OEM(right) bolt has on the end? Should I drill that out more as well or leave it?
                  Attached Files
                  2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

drill that thing out and use it. I think it would work

Comment

where is the built in restriction? i always thought in my head it was in the banjo bolt, in which case i would be VERY afraid to starve the turbo of oil with that much smaller one. you would have to drill out both down into the bolt and through the bolt. which would then make me nervous just for the longevity of the bolt decreasing the dimensions on the bolt. ultimately there is no torque on the bolt when on, the turbo isnt moving around, so your probably fine.
                      There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

Originally posted by FazdaBoy4ever View Post
                        where is the built in restriction? i always thought in my head it was in the banjo bolt, in which case i would be VERY afraid to starve the turbo of oil with that much smaller one. you would have to drill out both down into the bolt and through the bolt. which would then make me nervous just for the longevity of the bolt decreasing the dimensions on the bolt. ultimately there is no torque on the bolt when on, the turbo isnt moving around, so your probably fine.
                        I thought that was in the fitting thats on the turbo itself.

I've gotten word that the bolt can be used. I'll take the extra precaution and drill the side holes bigger but I don't believe the bottom hole needs anything.
                        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

Depends on the turbo, where the restriction is, and if it even has one. T3 and vj20 don't. Most if not all BB turbos do, and the restriction is in the centercartridge, screwed in right below the feed line.
                          '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

If the turbo has a restriction drill the bolt larger.If it does not and the bolt is the restriction go same size