Tail light fuse blowing, '90 323

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tail light fuse blowing, '90 323

Has anyone run across a common issue with the 15A tail light fuse blowing? the running lights and guage lights now do not come on. I stopped at a gas station and got a new fuse, it blew it the second that I turned on the running lights.

Something's grounded obviously, I'm just wondering if there are some common areas that this happens, to help speed up the diagnosis.

thanks,

--sarge

well my side marker on my rear bumper got burnt out and I guess maybe some water got into it, and that was causing my short problems, you might want to look into that

Nick
    Posted By: Wheresthericego

The BP crank is made out of invincible.
    sigpic

Comment

check the cigarette lighter, they ground out and kill that fuse IIRC
      "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
      -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
      *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
      172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
      New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

I only have reflectors in my rear bumper, no bulbs. Hopefully I'll find something simple to fix when I get home and break out the test light.

I checked the cig lighter too, it seems to be fine. Disconnected it even, switching on the running lights still pops the fuse. I checked all the bulbs, none of them are damaged. the two rear running/signal lights have kind of wavy elements, but not close enough to each other to short.

man, this is going to be a fun one to trace.

Maybe it's the dome light, it's never worked since I had the car. Or, something deep in the bowels of the dash, in the most difficult to reach place, ever...

--sarge
        Last edited by SgtRauksauff; 07-23-2008, 02:42 PM.

Comment

the only time i had fuse issues with my tails was when the strut tower let go and the mount pinched all the wiring against the car LOL. so hopefully you're not in the same situtation i was in.

JACK.
          -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

strange. I just went through the whole thing, and other than finding out my reverse lights have a dirty connection, everything seems to be fine. AND no blowing of fuses right now.

which makes me wonder if it's not something to do with the multifunction/combination switch.

Like, being old and worn just enough, that when turning on the parking lights, or turning off the headlights, part of that switch is just out of alignment enough to try running the 30A load of the HEAD circuit through the 15A TAIL fuse.

next time I blow a fuse, I'm going to make sure the headlights are on, then install the TAIL fuse. If it doesn't blow, that would indicate to me that it's the switch, and not the wiring.

This'll make things interesting when I install my EDM lights finally, and am running the 70/65W Osram H4's.

--sarge

Comment

Are you sure that the fuse you are changing is for the tail lights? from the wiring diagrams I have the taillights,side makers, headlights, illumination lamps and license plate lights have a 10A fuse(which is labled 10A tail in the under dash fuse box).
              Last edited by Masterbanter; 07-23-2008, 08:01 PM.
              Mx3 RS,BP-turbo
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805

Comment

I had a similar problem, turned out to be the rear light itself was shorting somehow even though looked clean. If it shorts again, try disconnecting the tail lights. And yes, it should be a 10 amp fuse.

Comment

Working...
                X