OBD II code reader/scanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OBD II code reader/scanner

I am starting to look for a code reader/scanner so my parents can give me a graduation/birthday present. So here's the deal, I don't know what I'm looking for. I know i need an OBD II, but anything else i don't know. I don't know what all you can really do with a reader other then read codes, but i have a few questions...

What are some good readers?
    Can the readers/scanners do anything but read codes?
    How much are good readers going to cost?
    Is the reader going to be useful on any car I get in the future?
    Is it worth it to get a code reader?

Few more questions, but i figure over the life of this thread i can ask em at other times. Thanks in advance!
    sigpic

Does anyone know anything about code readers/scanners?
    sigpic

Comment

The speed of the obd2 port on the 2nd gen is abysmal.

I had a pretty good $300 obd2 thing about ~5 years ago. It let you do all sorts of nifty things. But hooking up to the 2nd gen was silly. For example; If I went wot it wouldn't register it from the TPS for about 30 seconds. Hell the only time it was useful ,as more than a scan tool, was calibrating my tach.

Unless you live in the sticks and it takes 20+ mins to drive to an autozone(like me :/) don't even bother with one.
      Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
      kitty, you are a hilarious woman
      Originally posted by HopelessCow
      there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
      Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

You can pick up a good obd2 scanner for less then a hundred. For what you will need it for, there is no reason for a high end scanner. I work as a Honda tech and only use a 70 dollar mini scanner for most PGMFI or check engine lights. Big scan tools are for taking snapshots, pulse widths, o2 sensor voltage and **** of the like. A good little scan tool will help you get a good starting point for diagnosis.
        Mx3 RS,BP-turbo
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805

Comment

Originally posted by Masterbanter View Post
          I work as a Honda tech and only use a 70 dollar mini scanner for most PGMFI or check engine lights.
          That alone says it all but I will comment anyway!
          At Autozone they charge it to your credit card and let you take it home for up to 30 days. You then take it back and they refund to your credit card so it's a free rental. If not busy, they will go outside and read it for you and you don't have to rent it. I got sidetracked and ended up passing my 30 day limit so I was forced to buy it for $160 to $180. I can't really remember. Anyway, if I lost it, I would now voluntarily buy one.

This sucker has solved my problems so fast it's sick. I just bought a pretty clean 98 Protege LX for $450 with "supposed" major engine problems: no compression on cylinder 1. The code scanner read "Misfire on Cylinder 1". My experience teaches me that when that is caused by a simple problem it's either a plug wire, distributor cap, or rotor. I bought all three and glued the cracked air intake hose and bought a car worth about $2500 for $450.

The same thing happened when a 95 Protege I bought a few years back returned a code for MAF Sensor malfunction. The car barely ran. I bought a used one for $25 and problem solved. Forget Kitty and his short posts. Listen to my long dragged out posts and go get yourself a code scanner in the $100 range. You will use it for your cars, family, friends and to make a buck or two on a repair job for someone else.

Comment

Thanks everyone!
            sigpic

Comment

creative spam is creative
              Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
              kitty, you are a hilarious woman
              Originally posted by HopelessCow
              there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
              Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitty View Post
                creative spam is creative
                Crap, I didn't even notice his spam as signature. If everyone is like me and barely ever reads people's signature, no one will ever see I'm looking for a fender. The longer the sig, the less chance I will read it. It's usually some egocentric blabbering.

Comment

I use the scangauge code reader.

Comment

Working...
                  X