GTX build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTX build thread

Figured I'd start a document on the build-up of our shop GTX.

First off, it blew up on me while I was boosting 15psi in 4th gear, I didn't really know what was going on at first, but it was definatly only running on 3 cylinders lol. So I limped it back to our shop and the tear down began.

Here's a couple shots of the car with the FMIC and piping I built for it.

And here is the wonderful internals of the engine after some detination:

Burned exhaust valve

Top of piston

Hi there Mr. Ring

Bare block

So we are gathering parts for the build as we speak, hoping to get it together very shortly and back in the car. While everything is apart, we're fully rebuilding the tranny and doing some body work.
    Cars Suck...

nice piston, keep us posted. anything special for the engine build?
    91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

That piston is re-usable. Just sand it down a little. lol. Sub'n to watch the progress
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

LOL, yeah I should just giver a polish, it'll work just fine haha.

Our first step is to take the block to our machine shop and see if its even usable for the JE pistons we're getting. Then we'll go from there.
        Cars Suck...

Comment

I contacted our supplier and they dont have any listing for ARP studs for the B6T. Does anyone know a part number or if the Miata ARP stud kit will work with our engine?

Also, the 10 thou over pistons aren't going to work with our damaged block, we need to bore it at least 20 thou over, so we are looking into getting some new pistons for the build now.
          Cars Suck...

Comment

I know that wiseco has .20 over pistons for the b6... might have to go with a higher cr though i don't remember. I'm almost certain the arp studs are swappable between b6 miata and b6t

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
            1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
            1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
            1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
            1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

UPDATE:

Been a little while and lots of stuff has been happening.

First off, the blown up engine is now going to be a spare because we scored a freshly rebuilt engine with some aftermarket goodies on it for $600.
              We're going to run the stock turbo again, but this time better boost control. I hogged the wastegate hole out almost double the size of stock.

I just picked up the transmission today from our rebuilders.

The body work is coming along slowly, we're only working on it in our spare time but its going to be one of a kind!

Pics to follow....
              Cars Suck...

Comment

Wide body?

1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead

Comment

Yeah sorta, fender flares for uber wide rim/tire combo
                  Cars Suck...

Comment

nice how wide you trying to go on the wheels?

Comment

I think Dan has a set of 15x9" wide all around on order with a zero offest
                      Cars Suck...

Comment

be sure to port that piston while its out!!! o.0
                        I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                        |.....Overnight....................| ||
                        |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                        |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                        "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                        Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Umm detonation - looks like it happened for a good while. Was it a bad injector?

Comment

No, injectors are good, just had them flow tested today actually.

It was a combination of waaay too much boost and no supporting mods. It would bounce off 18psi in 3rd or 4th gear once in a while and stutter real bad. LOL, it was only a matter of time.
                            Cars Suck...

Comment

Pics....

Cars Suck...

Comment

Working...
                              X