Dirty Engine! (Engine wash)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirty Engine! (Engine wash)

Well as I've been posting in the other section; I've been messing around with the cooling system alot; and solving alot of leaks, and spurts.

As such, most of the engine compartment was bathed with antifreeze! At some point I used some cheap, raunchy smelly antifreeze (had to make it home) and some of that even spelled onto the engine, now whenever she warms up, or gets to "operating" heat, you can smell the crap burning off the engine.....

So, I wanted to make a trip to the car wash and get some of that engine degreaser/cleaner on there and clean it up. Keep in mind also, this is a 1991 Protege; and SINCE 1991, I'm the only one to actually do anything to the car under the hood...which means the engine is DIRTY!

I know I need to cover the disty, but do I unplug the spark plug wires and cover it and then go from there? Or leave them plugged in and just cover it with a bag....I'm at a total loss for what to do to protect my car from the water. (Then again, I don't have a splash guard, so I know most of the engine has been hit with water before...as I drove in water that went to 3/4 of the wheel height)
    1993 Mazda Protege DX: RIP (1993-2007)
    1991 Mazda Protege DX: RIP (1991-2009)
    1994 Mazda Protege DX: Alive (1994- )

i never did anything except get a gallon of super clean used a small spray bottle to spary it on your engine let it soak for about 5 min and then spray off with a garden hose after your all done and completed take the cap off and dry it out and you should be good to go remember engine should be cool when you do this
    Check out the Pics
    sigpic
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
    Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

don't spray directly onto the valve cover. Thats just asking for issues. When i pressure washed my engine bay (it did nothing, i had no cleaner) i sprayed everything. nothing covered. I got water in with the spark plugs and messed things up did they dried out. I'd use some paper towels or similar for that area. Covering up the disty would be good too.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X