Rear drum breaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear drum breaks

Hi, unfortunately I couldn't buy a maintenance book, but time to change brakes has come. I hadn't problems to change the front ones including discs, but kind of stuck with rear ones. Is there a possibility to find information on internet how to do it step by step probably including a diagram?

Thanks

It's entirely possible you can find the information out online. I'm sure it's been posted a few hundred thousand times before. Question, though: are you sure the drums need replacing? They usually last at least 200,000 miles. If they're cracked, replace them. If not, make sure they're out of spec before you just up and change them. Drums aren't the easiest thing to do on a car, but you can do it with minimal drama if you have some experience working on cars. If you can't find any diagrams or instructions, let me know. I have a shop manyal.
    1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

Probably I didn't explain it well, I need to change brakes. I have some experience with American cars to do it, but how I can, see Mazda is little bit different, like to open the cover of that brakes I have to remove a screw (as I found it somewhere), in my case there is 2 screws and it would be nice to see any picture that shows what they tight, do I have to remove them and so on...

Comment

The two screws must be removed to take the drum off. The center of the drum rusts to the center of the hub (or whatever it's called), this makes the drum very hard to remove.

Comment

I watched my mechanic take my rear drum off once. Seemed to be a pain in the butt. He had to take out the screws, using a hammer and a screw driver. The hammer to break em free as hes loosens. Then he pried off the drum cover thing and that was all he did that i saw anyways.
          sigpic

Comment

The rear brakes aren't self adjusting and have to be tightened every 10-15K miles, so I've gotten pretty good at pulling the drums without the proper tools. I back the screws out about half way. Then I get a large three finger gear puller and put two fingers on the drum and the center bolt of the puller against the closest screw that's backed out half way. I give the side of the center bolt a quick rap with a dead blow hammer and it pops the drum loose. I then repeat the process on the other side. You can pull the drum in a minute or two this way without bending your dust shields.

Comment

I'm sure they are like the older cars (bg bh) where they are adjusted every time you apply the parking brake.

Comment

I wish you were right, but unfortunately it's not the case. You have to adjust them every 10-20K or you'll go through front pads in a hurry.

Comment

Is there a link with pics, so he can understand it better...

Comment

Originally posted by dtatham View Post
                    I wish you were right, but unfortunately it's not the case. You have to adjust them every 10-20K or you'll go through front pads in a hurry.
                    No, this is wrong in every way. The rear brake shoes self adjust, and I defy you to show me anywhere in the owners manual or repair manual that says we have to adjust them.

I'll bite though - exactly what pieces do you mess with when you think you are "adjusting" the rear brakes?

Comment

Adjusting rear drum brakes on Protege

The drum brakes should self adjust by hard braking while going backwards. There is a self adjusting componant with very shallow teeth directly under the slave cylinder. This expands the shoes toward the drum when the brake pedal is pressed.

Great Drum Break Instructional Video

Last edited by ptmechanic; 07-23-2009, 04:23 PM. Reason: Great Drum Break Instructional Video

Comment

Brake self adjustment

When my protege had about 20k miles on it, I took it in for servicing. The mechanic at the dealership told me that they were not self adjusting and had to be manually adjusted by moving the part with the tiny teeth one or two notches with a screwdriver.
                        I guess they were trying to "drum" up more business.
                        I yield to the consensus.
                        Doug

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RX729 View Post
                            Is there a link with pics, so he can understand it better...

Comment

I replaced my drum brakes about 2 weeks ago. yeah the drum cover was a pain to get loosen up, (yeah they're right, Its just rust that makes it difficult to remove). About the "Adjustment" i did nothing to mine, they just self adjust. i have a 2000 protege. **one thing you must do after you replace the brakes is.. that "self-adjust piece" you will have to push it inwards otherwise the drum cover wont fit back in place , since it self adjusted to your old brakes, you will need to (i guess you can say reset it?) lol.. well good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X