Cramps are crampin my style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cramps are crampin my style

Background. Started workin out doin cardio/aerobic regularly about a year ago this time. Never lost weight til this summer when started the south beach diet. Started in May jogging with goals like a constant mile at a jog, then started upping the distance some. Here i am in november and i can run/jog at 6.3 mph says the treadmill for a couple miles. Feels great.

Now recently, its not my legs that are ending my jogs, its cramps. Just under my right rib cage i start cramping anywhere from 12 minutes in to 20 minutes. Today i felt like i could maybe get my next goal of 3 miles of jogging all at once. Cramps kicked in just after 2 miles. Suckyness.

I drink some water just before working out and today had a bottle of water while joggin. This is in the morning before breakfast and work.

Anyone know why i might be crampin? I'd really rather not. Its the only thing holdin me back right now.
    sigpic

take a potasium(spelling) supliment.

/thread
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

i eat bananas regularly. I'll look into that. could it be anything else?
      sigpic

Comment

he take a look at the pics i posted of my fat self on bptcafe thread! lol
        i will show you ho to loose wight!
        GOD INVENTED TURBO LAG TO GIVE THE V8 A CHANCE!!!!!
        AND
        THE DEVIL INVENTED THE ''ANTILAG'' TO SHOW THEM NO MERSEY!!!!

Comment

I doubt it's mineral/electrolyte related.

I would think it's the "don't eat 30 minutes before you swim" theory. When you run, your body "shunts" blood away from unused/less used muscles, organs etc and directs it towards what is in needs. In your case, jogging, your lower extremities are in dire need of increased blood flow, as well as your coronary circulation (heart), brain etc. Digestion takes a back seat to these needs, therefore, bloodflow to the stomach/intestines/digestive tract is rerouted to those areas in need, resulting in cramping.

Conclusion, don't eat immediately before exercise.

I've never noticed this section. Ask away guys. I graduated last summer with a degree in Exercise Physiology. I do personal training majority of my week as well as cardiac and neuromuscular rehab (even a bit of orthopedic injury rehab, too).

I don't have all the answers, but I can find and understand a lot.
          sigpic
          2004 Subaru WRX STi
          2003 Toyota Highlander

Comment

breathe more
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

This is usually first thing in the morning. I don't ever eat before I work out. I just wake up, brush my teeth, go to the gym, and hop on the treadmill. Breathing could be it, but its regular and no shortness of breath.
              sigpic

Comment

You should get some nutrition before you workout. Having a huge gap in between chow and work is not good for you
                I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                |.....Overnight....................| ||
                |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

i can't function unless i eat right away after getting up. within 20 minutes i eat or im hurting.
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Originally posted by Squeekster1 View Post
                    This is usually first thing in the morning. I don't ever eat before I work out. I just wake up, brush my teeth, go to the gym, and hop on the treadmill. Breathing could be it, but its regular and no shortness of breath.
                    are you sure it's cramps? or more just like a sideache?

i would define cramps as "o my god i'm gonna die right now" and a sideache as "wow this really ****ing sucks, but if i had to i could run away from a t-rex chasing after me"
                    sigpic

Comment

Its painful. Makes me stop running and breathing in or out to much makes it hurt more. I gotta take short breaths at a walking speed to get it to subside. Then anytime i start runnin again it comes right back.
                      sigpic

Comment

i would define cramps as "o my god i'm gonna die right now" and a sideache as "wow this really ****ing sucks, but if i had to i could run away from a t-rex chasing after me"
                        Someone was watching journey to the center of the earth lol

Comment

This is a wise Idea Kitty

Originally posted by Kitty View Post
                          take a potasium(spelling) supliment.

/thread
                          I can say for us old guys this is much needed to get any sleep.

I must say Kitty, a wise word from you this time!

Wow, a member since Jan. 2008 and over 2k post = post whore of the year!

Lmao
                          David
                          sigpic Ky

Comment

Hamstring cramps are the most painful...

That I have experienced, the suppliment that Kitty suggested as well as bananas, and Gatorade is on my list of cramp killers.

I do love a great work out and at times like many things I do can become extreme, so I also must control by using moderation in my work and play.

A cardovascular work out is not so glamorus, yet as we young men get older the running suck on our knees and hips. I was once a cross country runner in the early 1980s. I would not do that at my weight of now 196, my weight then 146-150. Body conditioning is one tool for long life of the best possible health a person can have.

Life is good! I have 1st Gen. Zoom baby!

Originally posted by Squeekster1 View Post
                            Background. Started workin out doin cardio/aerobic regularly about a year ago this time. Never lost weight til this summer when started the south beach diet. Started in May jogging with goals like a constant mile at a jog, then started upping the distance some. Here i am in november and i can run/jog at 6.3 mph says the treadmill for a couple miles. Feels great.

Now recently, its not my legs that are ending my jogs, its cramps. Just under my right rib cage i start cramping anywhere from 12 minutes in to 20 minutes. Today i felt like i could maybe get my next goal of 3 miles of jogging all at once. Cramps kicked in just after 2 miles. Suckyness.

I drink some water just before working out and today had a bottle of water while joggin. This is in the morning before breakfast and work.

Anyone know why i might be crampin? I'd really rather not. Its the only thing holdin me back right now.
                            David
                            sigpic Ky

Comment

synopsis:
                              Strengthen the stomach muscles.
                              Avoid eating large meals or drinking large amounts of liquid before running.
                              Periodically take deeper breaths while running.
                              Periodically purse your lips and forcefully inhale and exhale.
                              Lean forward or back, left or right to change the pressure on your stomach muscles.
                              Change the foot you land on during exhalation.

Comment

Working...
                              X