Head Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Gasket

Before I started taking things apart, I was looking at the FSM, and it kinda looks like I can change the head gasket without taking the intake mani and exhaust mani off. Any thoughts on this before I get my hands dirty?

PS this is on the GTX
    M
    '88 323 DX ,Bone Stock
    '88 323 GTX, CAI, giant fmic, 3" exaust from the turbo back

bump
    M
    '88 323 DX ,Bone Stock
    '88 323 GTX, CAI, giant fmic, 3" exaust from the turbo back

Comment

You might want to just take it all apart and take the head in to be milled so you have a good sealing surface. How did the head gasket get blown? If it over heated you very well have a warped head. Could save you from doing it all over again. Check the head with a straight edge and feeler gauges to determine what you do. my .02

Clay

Comment

Ive left them on before on hondas and talons/eclipse's, but if it was overheated you might do as he said and ck to see if its warped. Oh yea I like to take everything off, so I can use like 30 cans of carb clean and clean out the intake and all the passages so its good as new when put back on.
        2003.5 MSP Sunlight Silver #1859
        99k(trying to keep under 100k lmao)
        Mam Mani, Pope 3" Downpipe
        Forge Wastegate 10 psi, Ingen CAI
        Poly Motor Mounts
        3" High flow cat, 2.5 Catback with twin loop muffler
        Drilled and Slotted Brakes

Comment

Look up in general BF for my heagasket changing thread. My car blew its original gasket, but never once overheated. Just start dripping coolant into the cylinders. I got away without taking the intake mani off, but It is much easier to just take out the turbo, exhuast mani, and down pipe off as a unit. Dont try to get it out as a huge one peice deal, its not worth it. Spend the extra $35 for a new gasket.
          Mazda
          1988 Black 323 GT
          DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

the extra effort now will be well spent come the final product.

Comment

Working...
            X