Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i put seafoam in on Sunday and there was no smoke. it was the 1/3 bottle in fuel tank, 1/3 bottle in the crankcase, 1/3 bottle in the vacuum line.

i used the brake booster vacuum line. the ran rough during the process, but the engine didn't die. is there a pool of seafoam sitting in the engine somewhere?

on the plus, it is running a little smoother but i also did an oil change, so it could just that "fresh oil" feeling

Comment

Installed AWR 70 duro #3 mount last week... Re-installed torn stock mount this week... Much happier. The amount of vibration with the AWR mount is shocking, and after looking at the design a bit closer, it's easy to see why: it's basically a solid mount - the polyurethane does next to nothing. Metal bracket held to another metal bracket by a bolt with absolutely no room for movement save for straight across lateral, which I can't really ever see happening. The bushing even has a metal tube through it so there's not even any damping there, either...

Oh well, many other people seem to love it, it's just not my cup of tea (and definitely not my girlfriend's).

Honestly though, I don't understand how people are running all four of them. It seems to me our rust buckets would simply vibrate into dust piles after a few hundred miles!

Comment

Originally posted by nickthaskater View Post
        Installed AWR 70 duro #3 mount last week... Re-installed torn stock mount this week... Much happier. The amount of vibration with the AWR mount is shocking, and after looking at the design a bit closer, it's easy to see why: it's basically a solid mount - the polyurethane does next to nothing. Metal bracket held to another metal bracket by a bolt with absolutely no room for movement save for straight across lateral, which I can't really ever see happening. The bushing even has a metal tube through it so there's not even any damping there, either...

Oh well, many other people seem to love it, it's just not my cup of tea (and definitely not my girlfriend's).

Honestly though, I don't understand how people are running all four of them. It seems to me our rust buckets would simply vibrate into dust piles after a few hundred miles!
        The problem is that the conventional inline-4 engine cannot be brought into perfect balance and will always have a residual secondary harmonic unbalanced force present. Thus, these engines depend on properly designed engine mounts to moderate the vibration to an acceptable level. More rigidity in the mounts make for more pronounced engine vibration.

An inline-4 engine can be brought into perfect balance if it's constructed with two counter-rotating balance shafts which is the approach taken in the 2.3 L and 2.5 L Mazda3 engines.

For more information, go to:

Happy Motoring!
        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Yeah, I really wish I'd followed your lead and just gone with the Mazdaspeed mount instead of the AWR. I guess I'm not the boy racer I thought I once was

Comment

i always seem to have good luck filling the OEM mounts. either with plumbers epoxy or with window weld
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
              i always seem to have good luck filling the OEM mounts. either with plumbers epoxy or with window weld
              I was going to do that, but I'm afraid of ending up with a similar level of vibration as the AWR mount. The last thing I want right now is to be stuck with two useless mounts, lol...

By the way, does anyone want to buy an essentially brand new AWR #3 mount?

Comment

believe me its nowhere near a poly mount..... the rubber in OEM mounts actually does reduce vibrations. poly doesn't reduce vibrations at all really
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

modified my oil pump last night with a cotter pin to replace the snap ring & shimmed the relief spring while i was at it
                  my last motor failed when the snap ring decided to visit the drain plug...

Comment

So since i last posted i have done some work to my 03 sedan. I picked up another p5 so i put the bumper and skirts on my sedan along with rota slipstreams and yakima surf racks. just need to wire up the foglights now. i also pulled the engine and blown 5-speed tranny. planning on swapping it into my sedan so i can build my current motor. Planning on a full rebuild then boosting that POS. Big things ahead for my ProtegeClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2365[2].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	1241394Click image for larger version

ID:	1241394Click image for larger version

ID:	1241394

Comment

Here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will never again buy a newer mazda nothing post 1994.
                        my Protege5 is the worlds largest POS. and a rotbox to boot

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                          I will never again buy a newer mazda nothing post 1994.
                          my Protege5 is the worlds largest POS. and a rotbox to boot
                          I'm really sorry to hear that. My '02 DX has been a great car, highly reliable and always fun to drive.
                          02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

i did some research the other day on the hunt for a bad water leak in my p5. come to find out mazda epically failed in every regard to seam sealing the joints.
                            not only that but they failed horribly at the drain vents for the window cowl system. which caused built up water to pool and eventually rust out the channel joints.
                            my passenger floorboard is virtually unsalvageable and needs EXTENSIVE repair work all the way along the lower kick panel.

so between horrible design practice- with no right rhyme or reason behind it. and skimping out on properly sealing the seams this car is officially only paces from the bone yard.
                            If i hadn't just invested into replacing the motor (again due to ****ty design flaws) this car would be a metal heap by now.

never the less i pulled the dash already & have intent to pick up metal to weld in tomorrow. so there will be pictures eventually- check my build log for some camera phone pics.

Comment

I just finished a bunch of work on my BJ. Installed new valve stem seals, re-shimmed the lifters, installed a new warerpump, timing belt component kit, re-sealed the valve cover and performed a hot engine flush/ double oil change. It's awesome to have my car back after 2 weeks waiting for lifter shims. Next project after Christmas will be header back exhaust with a new highflow secondary cat and to swap out my current intake manifold for a VTCS deleted and ported manifold I've done up. Plus a bit of a vacuum line/ wiring tuck.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm going to have to do some rust repair to the engine side of my inner fender as it is starting to rust through in one weird spot.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X