Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over the weekend I sanded and primed the roof of the car. The clear coat was peeling really badly. Still need to do more sanding over the weekend. Planning on finishing up on thanksgiving week.

Comment

What I've done recently with mine: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...8&postcount=75
      And floored it yesterday w a guy in a nice looking (but with a beat up engine) blue 01-03 Protege. That car had a major exhaust leak and an oil burning issue. The other guy just floored it first and I followed, but the smoke screen was just too dense!
      sigpic My cardomain

Comment

Wow, long time no replies on here lol. I washed mine and finished bolting on a few things on my new bumper. Just a few minor fixes and it'll be done

Comment

Saturday: Installed CDM-spec (Canadian Domestic Market) Protege5 strut tower bar. Removed the cruise control actuator in the process.

For years I already had a Nardi steering wheel that I could not reinstall the CC buttons without modifying the steering wheel permanently, so I decided to take it off until I sell or wreck the car. Left the cable in the car so its a bit ghetto-fabulous. Oh and I'm just kidding about the CDM, i just bought it off an eBay seller from Canada.

Also finished with an oil change. Used Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic and 626 V6 oil filter (G6Y0-14-302P1). I ordered JEY0-14-302-9A, but the G6Y0 part, is replacement for JEY0.

Replaced the PCV filter, B541-13-890A, at the same time to try and troubleshoot my oil loss problem. losing about 1qt every 1000 miles. if this doesn't fix the issue i will try a new oil pressure sensor.

Comment

Traded mine for one of these:

sigpic My cardomain

Comment

Comment

Changed Engine Oil, Spring 2011

I went to my "Nectar of the Gods" dealer and bought 4 quarts of Red Line 5W-30 @ US $10.50/quart: $42 + $2.94 state theft = US $44.94

Mazda oil filter: $7.33 - 10% discount = $6.60 + .46 state theft = US $7.06. I bought this at my friendly Mazda dealer but don't know why I received the 10% discount.

Drain plug sealing washer p/n 9956-41-400: NC

As meGrimlock already explained above, Mazda has a new p/n for the 626 V6 oil filters which both he and I use in preference to the OEM Protege filter because of its larger size. New p/n G6Y0-14-302-P1 replaces JEY0-14-302-9A.

The last time I bought Red Line oil it was API rated SM. This newest Red Line is now rated SN, the latest API Service Category rating for gasoline engines. Also new is that this oil meets the ILSAC GF-5 specifications. For more information about this, go to:

As usual, the oil change was quick and easy because I followed the superb How-To at:

This is so explicit, detailed and well-written that as I read through it I felt as if I were actually at the car carrying out the oil change instead of just reading about it. There aren't too many people who can write like this in such vivid detail and I'd say that we're lucky to have such a knowledgeable and gifted individual as a member of our Forum.

Now that the oil change is out of the way, my next job will be to install my SS brake lines after which my summer only wheels/tires can go on.

It's a great life if you don't weaken.

Happy Motoring!
                Last edited by goldstar; 05-12-2011, 05:07 PM.
                02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Lubricated My Locks

I have a DX so my door locks are key-operated, the way they were meant to be. The driver's side door lock started to bind up and wouldn't turn freely when I inserted the key. A few blasts of powdered graphite resolved the problem and now the key turns in the lock as if it were an eel in oil. While I was at it, I blasted the passenger door, trunk, and ignition locks.

Another job well done.

Happy Motoring!
                  Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                  Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
                    This is so explicit, detailed and well-written that as I read through it I felt as if I were actually at the car carrying out the oil change instead of just reading about it. There aren't too many people who can write like this in such vivid detail and I'd say that we're lucky to have such a knowledgeable and gifted individual as a member of our Forum.

Happy Motoring!
                    haha that made me laugh when I saw it was your write up.
                    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

exide orbital battery installed on saturday. same as goldstar's. thanks for the writeup.

right now its the most ghetto-fabulous battery installation. 7 years ago when the dealer replaced my battery, they threw away the battery cover. i never really gave it much thought until i went to replace this one.

there was a battery height adapter on the bottom so they mustve used a smaller battery and didnt have room for the battery + height adapter + cover. the height adapter makes the orbital battery too tall for the tie down clamp so i threw out the height adapter and shimmied the clamp with some cardboard. ghetto-fabulous!

anybody have an OEM battery cover they want to get rid of?

Comment

Somehow I posted this in the 95-98 forum so here goes what I did to my 03 over the past two days:

Let's see:

Replaced the front down pipe (pipe from bottom of pre-cat to the main exhaust). Now I can finally replace my rusty oil pan (tomorrow's project).

Replaced all four struts with KYBs.

Replaced rear sway bar.

Replaced all four end links.

(actually the KYBs came from a 2000 Protege. Had to replace the end links to make them fit due to the newer Pros having longer end links in the front. Couldn't get my rusty end links off the rear struts so I had to replace the sway bar...took the sway bar off the 2000 as well...rides like a champ now and no more pull to the right like it had due to rusty strut mounts and worn out original struts...I can post a write up if anyone cares).

Replaced rotten air intake pipe.

bloodyspirit058 asks:

is the 2000 bar bigger/stronger/thicker or just a tad longer?
                        It seems the same thickness but curves at the ends so the end links are longer. Go figure, shorter links in the front and longer in the rear compared to the 03.

Comment

Last weekend I finally got around to replacing the rear brake shoes and drums. I got a great deal from rockauto. They were having a closeout on both the shoes and drums. All for under $50

Comment

I took a brake yesterday and installed stainless steel break lines in my car replacing the OEM rubber types.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Have you noticed any difference in pedal feel with the SS lines? I'm considering replacing the lines on my car (and a roommate's), and I'm wondering if they'll be worth the cost over OEM lines.
                              1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

Although I'm waiting to discuss my driving impressions of the SS lines in detail until after I've put on some miles, on my first brief drive after installation I did notice a definite increase in braking force.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Working...
                                X