What did I screw up??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did I screw up??

well yesterday was warm (30ish degrees) so i decided to wash the car. there was road grime and salt all over everything inside the engine bay. so as i'm washing the outside, i pop the hood and hose off the engine bay. the engine was warm, and idling. kept the sprayer a ways away from everything, and didnt spend too much time on it. no problems at all, left the car wash, got some food and went back to work. sat and ate while my car was still idling. still no problems the entire time. anyways, i worked the last 3 hours of the day and jumped in my car to leave and it started pretty rough. i eventually got it to start, gave it some gas, and it seemed fine. then on the way home, it would act like it was only running on a couple cylinders. i had to rev it pretty high to be able to even start moving, but once there was a load on the engine, it didnt like getting much throttle. i limped it home and parked it in my drive, checked everything over, and didnt notice anything unusual. no water in the spark plug holes like i expected. tried to start it again and it wont even run anymore. checked for codes, and got a code 18. according to anything i have found, there is no 18? but yes, im sure it was 18. if anybody has any ideas on where to start, i would appreciate it. the car is much more fun to drive than the truck, better on gas too
    91 Cayman EGT, Sprint springs, S/R Struts, ebay short throw shifter, MX-3 Seats front and rear, MX-3 tie bar, WeaponR intake

Periodically when I wash my engine the TPS gets wet and it doesn't go over 3k rpm. It was scary the first time it happened I was merging into traffic... Come to think of it, it hasnt done it since megasquirt. But that is something you should check. I would just unplug it and drive it without it until it would dry
    I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
    |.....Overnight....................| ||
    |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
    |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
    "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
    Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Originally posted by wheresthericego View Post
      Periodically when I wash my engine the TPS gets wet and it doesn't go over 3k rpm. It was scary the first time it happened I was merging into traffic... Come to think of it, it hasnt done it since megasquirt. But that is something you should check. I would just unplug it and drive it without it until it would dry
      thanks for the input, i had a hunch it may have been the TPS, it acted goofy directly related to throttle. it will run okay without the TPS connected?
      91 Cayman EGT, Sprint springs, S/R Struts, ebay short throw shifter, MX-3 Seats front and rear, MX-3 tie bar, WeaponR intake

Comment

pull the disty cap off and dry it out

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaNoob View Post
          pull the disty cap off and dry it out
          haha that was my problem one do i just let it sit over night cause i didnt want to take everything apart. worked fine the next day

Comment

i replaced the cap and rotor today, used dielectric grease on both ends of the wires when i put it all back together. it started up just fine, and runs great. like nothing ever happened. the strange part is that i didnt really see any water. there was a little oil but that was it. ill probably have to replace that seal on the distributor before long.

Comment

This is a known problem for the first gens. The first time I washed my engine bay the car wouldn't start until the next day. you want to cover the disty, sensors, etc with plastic shopping bags when you spray it off. Each time I have used bags I have had no problems.
              miss my '93 LX at every corner
              photo album
              Catch me on Facebook

Comment

make sure you look in by where the plugs are also. water will chill down there till it evaporates.
                Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                "Who Dey"

Comment

Working...
                X