Geoff's 1997 Mazda Protege ES Worklog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geoff's 1997 Mazda Protege ES Worklog

Well here it goes, my clutch crapped out me awhile back and the current engine was leaking oil from the valve cover gasket and various other places and I didn't feel like fixing a high mileage engine, so I picked up a 30k donor from Russ McHugh whom some of you might remember auto crossing his 1997 Protege ES in the showroom stock class for awhile. My plans are modest and I only want to have the head ported and polished, with a three angle valve job and 1mm over-sized valves. In addition to that, I plan on using the the 1999-2001 Miata cams for a mild performance gain. For the block, I plan on using the 10:1 1999-2001 pistons and installing a MBSP from a 90-94 Protege. I don't think I will be turboing the car in the near future, I just want something reliable with a little more power; maybe a g-series tranny with an LSD? Who knows?

Please keep comments focused and relevant about my build and help is ALWAYS appreciated.

NOTE: All pictures are thumbnails and will link to the larger versions when clicked
    Last edited by Henchman; 02-19-2009, 09:40 AM.
    1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

Originally Posted on 07-18-2007

Here are the first pics from the initial tear down of my car prior to pulling the old engine (still need to get a hoist):

Man I look goofy here.

It took me about 1-2 hours to remove the lights, grill, radiator shroud, bumper, and ac condenser. Once I get a hoist I'll start to move faster.

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

Originally Posted on 07-18-2007

Removing the valve cover.

Valve cover off; looks pretty clean inside.

Got that pesky intake manifold off and removed all the head bolts (which were a bitch to get out, but thankfully I had a 12pt socket to get the job done )

Head is off, time to wrap it up and drop it off at the machinist's (I'll remove the cams and lifters later on).

A look inside the block: looks like it should.

A close up of one the cylinders.

My guard cat.

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

Originally Posted on 10-27-2007

Couple Updates:

Went to the machine shop and inspected some progress:

Going to have the head ported and polished next, but the only work they've done is surfacing and a valve job. Here are some updated pics:

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

Originally Posted on 11-14-2007

Update*

Pulled the engine and tranny out today, pictures will follow tomorrow.

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

Originally posted on 02-27-2008

*Update

Alright, finally got some time to strip down the block a bit more and have a look over it before it gets dropped off at the machinist's to be checked, cleaned and whatever else needs to be done to it (hot tanked, honed, etc.). Engine had about 164k on the odometer when it was pulled and outside of leaky seals, everything looks great to me. Also going to drop off I/E gaskets to have the head ported and polished (just port matching) and get that finished up.

A look inside each of the cylinders, still looks good to me, how about everyone else?

Test fitting my MBSP.
            Last edited by Henchman; 01-25-2009, 11:08 PM.

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

Originally Posted 07-01-2008

Ordered my bottom end parts:

Main Bearings
              Rod Bearings
              Main Bearing Cap Bolts
              MBSP Bolts
              Miata 10.1:1 Pistons

All Bought from MMS, so hopefully I can get my bottom end balanced and back soon enough.

I have some 30k mile rods that are going to be shot peened as well since I can't justify buying forgies while staying N/A for awhile.

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

Originally Posted on 08-14-2008

Dropped all the parts off at the machinist's, going to have the engine balanced as well. I also want to have the flywheel shaved down a bit, but I can't decided on the weight. I'm thinking 15lbs so it won't be too light, but not as heavy as the stock one (~22lbs). If anyone wants to throw their two cents in about that, go ahead.

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

Originally Posted on 12-13-2008

Got these in the mail today.

I have so more updates being that all the machine work is done, I've just been ubber lazy as always

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

So, I went outside and decided to put some of my pieces parts together into an engine:

Already assembled and torqued the bottom end, but didn't take pictures of that; oh well!

I did the following:

Installed rear main seal
                    Installed oil pump with new front seal
                    Installed MBSP with sealant
                    Installed old style metal oil pickup tube with screen
                    Installed oil pan with sealant
                    Installed water pump and gasket
                    Torque all the bolts towards the higher end of Mazda specifications

Yep, today was a good day today.
                    Last edited by Henchman; 01-26-2009, 12:21 AM.

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

This is one of the cleanest n/a builds around. The small things are what matters the most and you're not skimping out on them. Good luck the rest of the way. I'll be watching closely
                      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

bump for flywheel pics
                        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Here are the lightened flywheel pictures:

Weighed in at 15lbs on my home scale (definitely not precise though lol).

On another note, you know that o ring that fits on the towards the top of the oil pump on the back? Yeah, I didn't install that so that means opening and sealing everything again...great, just great!
                          Last edited by Henchman; 01-28-2009, 02:49 PM.

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

bump for updates
                            I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                            |.....Overnight....................| ||
                            |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                            |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                            "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                            Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Close up of the intake port and some of the port work.

Pic showing the surfacing.

Another pic showcasing the surfacing (no oversized valves or chamber work, maybe with my spare head in the future).

Close-up of the exhaust port and port work.

Full on pic of all the exhaust ports.

Showing the gasket over an exhaust port.

Pic of ARP head studs and head gasket.

Another ARP head stud and head gasket shot.

Pic of the head bolted on the engine (ignore the minor surface rust on the cam caps, it's gone now).

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

Working...
                              X