2002 Mazda Protege: Gas smells coming from air vents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002 Mazda Protege: Gas smells coming from air vents

I have a 2002 Mazda Protege ES with 107,000 miles on it, and I have been smelling either gas or exhaust smell coming from my air vents. I smell it when the fan is on and when I'm idling. For the most part, I don't smell it while I'm driving. Even sometimes when I get into the car after it has been parked I smell a gas fumes. I don't see any oil or gas leaks and I don't see any leaks around the fuel injectors. Anyone have any suggestions on what it maybe. I'm taking it to shop to get it diagnosed.

Small fuel leak, prolly look around the charcoal canister or even the main fuel lines. Also check the PVC valve. Sometimes you can spot something like this by turning the key to the on position when the car is cold, pop the hood, and literally sniff around the engine bay.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Moved to the bj(3rd gen protege) section.

My 2002 mpv did the same. When the fresh air was on and it was idling only. I cleaned the maf,changed intake plenium gaskets and pcv hose and it went away. It actually went away after I cleaned the maf because I did that a month before the rest.
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Well I took it to the shop, and they said that they didn't see or find any gas leaks nor did they see any holes in the exhaust. They did however admit that when they detached my fuel line to clean the fuel injectors ( a service that was performed awhile ago) they said some of the fuel probably sprayed up near the window where the car vents pull air. He then stated he sprayed some refresher or cleaner in the A/C to get rid of the smell. I will see if this works. I think I will clean my throttle plate.

Comment

How and what did you use to clean the MAF?

Comment

Working...
          X