This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMACHU2 View Post
    Rayman, you are thinking about this all wrong! Just imagine that the MX-3 signed it's organ donor card. Now other Mazda's will survive thanks to the brave MX-3 and the automotive surgical skills of Dr. Dan
    your good.

777 im a winner

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

A little more work done today. Got the 1.6 out, pulled off the power steering crap, pulled the fenders.

In the next few days, strip-o-rama to the frame and then the first mock-up fitment of the RHD dash and internals (heater core & co.) - the wiring should be easy, all I have to do is flip it around.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the car was built very symmetric in that RHD parts can be easily put on the US LHD version - simple things like the hood release cable, and trunk/gas release cables all have their equivalent spots in the LHD chassis to go on the right side. Makes my life a bit easier.

For a radiator I picked up one from an '89 MR2 and it fits snugly, but I think eventually I will just get a dual core smaller rad. from Summit and mount it on the transmission half of the engine bay - will all depend on how the engine sits and how far forward the blower ends up.

The obligatory shot:

Bye-bye, you won't be missed

2 decades' worth of crap

Ewwwwww

Goodbye, asshole!

In the nude

Bag & tag will make me a happy panda @ reassembly time

Funtime awaits
      Last edited by Dan [Sac]; 06-10-2009, 01:14 AM.
      '90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
      '93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods...
      10.24 @ 139.5 mph [16 psi] - Timeslip
      490whp, 447 wtq @ 20psi - Dyno sheet

Comment

looks good cant wait to see those RHD parts i sold you put to use
        1st 323 - wrecked - RIP
        2nd 323 - stolen - RIP
        3rd 323 - daily driver

Comment

looking good dan. what are you going to be doing with the motor?? i can use the exhaust manifold if you can part with it

Comment

Question: The right hand drive-ness. Is that a cool way of freeing up room in the engine compartment for the Kompressor, or is it for JDM coolness factor??
            Dominic Toretto rocks a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"

My Work Log:http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46003

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IMACHU2 View Post
              Question: The right hand drive-ness. Is that a cool way of freeing up room in the engine compartment for the Kompressor, or is it for JDM coolness factor??

I wondered about this too. I can see converting a JDM to LHD for North America use, but going the other way...??

Jay

Comment

haha, those bondo patches....bringing up some nightmares for me
                95 Ford Probe GT | 03 Dodge Ram 1500 ST | 71 Ford Mustang "Mach I" clone | 90 Mazda 323 | 00 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 2003 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

i am loving this swap!!!!!! good job i will be doing the same thing in a month or so. i am looking foward to it.
                  GOD INVENTED TURBO LAG TO GIVE THE V8 A CHANCE!!!!!
                  AND
                  THE DEVIL INVENTED THE ''ANTILAG'' TO SHOW THEM NO MERSEY!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rayman View Post
                    haha, those bondo patches....bringing up some nightmares for me
                    This nightmare?? LOL It all better now though.
                    Attached Files
                    Dominic Toretto rocks a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"

My Work Log:http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46003

sigpic

Comment

It's for JDM coolness. I've wanted a RHD car since i was a preteen (which was 2 decades ago for perspectives' sake) but I never thought a Probe would be all that in it - this car is the perfect storm for some things I've wanted to do. I could care less how 'played out' it is or what other nonsense some of you are saying, i'm doing it because I want to. I remember when I started messing with the Probe on the drag strip some people saying "that thing will never run 12s, do yourself a favor and get a Mustang or a Honda..."....yeah, well that turned out ok after all.

More pics in a few days when my comp. works again.

Comment

Here are the latest pics:

Starting to undo the backside of the firewall

LHD Firewall

RHD firewall - this is what I meant when I said that the conversion will be simpler than I thought. Now to do it the 100% right way, you peel off the entire firewall, sheet by sheet, drilling out the spot welds and taking the windshield off, etc, etc. But as you can see, the blank firewalls are stamped the same - so all I need to do is cut out near the contour of each feature and stitch weld it back in place. This is applicable to the outside part of it. The interior will have a separate procedure as I WILL have to drill out all the brackets from the RHD configuration and put them into my 323. This will be done one at a time with careful surveying measurements and mocking up the attaching pieces (stuff like the heater core, pedal assemblies, steering column attachment, and vents).

Getting more bare - all of the tar will have to be removed to gain access to the seams & bracket spot welds.

GTR rear bumper Pain in the ass to install as the support had been damaged in a collision (fact neatly omitted by the seller), but the job was done all the same. Today I also ordered a Corksport GTX 3-hole bumper.

Another good reason to go mx3 subframechange one thing, get multiple benefits - I like that.

Comment

hey dan, can u do me a favor while u are doing all this? could u check for me to see if the 323/protege use the same caliper and hub assembly as the mx3? i just did a big brake conversion using my car (obviously the mx3 subframe), wanted to know if the kit is directly interchangeable over to a 323/protege. i'd assume so, but want to double check now that i see u tearing down everything.
                          95 Ford Probe GT | 03 Dodge Ram 1500 ST | 71 Ford Mustang "Mach I" clone | 90 Mazda 323 | 00 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 2003 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

how long did it take you to take all the interior pieces off.
                            and that rear bumper is looking good where u score that i need one soon.

Comment

I dunno, a couple of hours, working leisurely. Taking stuff apart is easy, it's putting it back together that makes things interesting.

The bumper I got from a chance sale in the For Sale section. You can get one from Corksport but without the lip - and I think the CS GTR bumpers are fiberglass replicas. Still, much better than the stock park bench.

Ray, I don't know if I'll have a chance to check that as the old parts are just about gone.

Comment

WOW! Super interesting photos of the difference between RHD & LHD. I've always wondered what a conversion would involve.

Jay

Comment

Working...
                                X