Replacing the Power Steering Belt: Can't Find the Tension Lock Bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing the Power Steering Belt: Can't Find the Tension Lock Bolt

Let me preface this post by saying that I'm not the most car-savvy guy out there. I know how to do the basics, but I'm not sure my terminology is going to be up-to-snuff.

Anyways, the power steering/AC belt on my friend's '99 Protege ES (1.8L) popped the other day, so I offered to help put a new one on. After inspection, the alternator/water pump belt needed changing too. Changing the latter went without a hitch...loosened the bolts, pushed/pryed the alternator forward, changed the belt, tightened, no problems.

The problem I'm running into is with the power steering belt...I can't figure out how to tighten the thing. The tension adjustment bolt is just hanging there, and I can't find what it's supposed to be screwed into. I took the tire off and unbolted the liner, and just don't see anything there. I'm thinking that when the belt popped, the tension bolt rattled and whatever it was screwed into (not sure what it would be called) just fell off, because it looks like it's missing. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Working...
X