Timing belt, Crankshaft mark 1.5l please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing belt, Crankshaft mark 1.5l please help

Does anyone have a pic of where to set the crank at? is there a yellow mark like most cars that i just havent seen yet? i found two nothces do i line those up ? i tried but not start still.

didn't you watch it; after u pulled it off?
    | Ejaz | '98 Protegé | '02 Protegé5 |

Comment

The crank gear has a notch in it which goes to 12:00.
      Powered by ACME

Comment

there is two notches and a yellow mark???

Comment

On the harmonic balancer there are two ,one is tdc and the other is 8degrees BTDC.Behind the front cover is the crank gear with one notch that goes to 12:00
          Powered by ACME

Comment

timing amrk pict

is this right ? so i have to take the pulley off and the lower timing sprocket can then be ligned up right
            Attached Files

Comment

Well,how did you make out?
              Powered by ACME

Comment

How u get the belt off the bottom of engine? i havemnt taken water pump pulley off yet either cause got put belt back on and break nuts loose

Comment

You should only need to remove the crank bolt...after the harmonic balancer.
                  1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

wat best way to take off lower engine and crank it till pops bolt loose

Comment

The large bolt? Impact gun,but if you dont have one put a breaker bar on the bolt and wedge the handle end at the front of the car and crank the engine break it loose.Unplug the distributor so it dont try to start.
                      Powered by ACME

Comment

^ do that if your car is automatic

if it's manual; drop the car in 5th gear; <-- try other gears;
                        not sure which 1;
                        but it locks the crankshaft; and u can crack it;
                        | Ejaz | '98 Protegé | '02 Protegé5 |

Comment

you can use the marks on the pulley to set it if you remember which way the crank turns.

Clockwise (standing from the passenger side and looking at the crank)

Thusly the notch that comes to the "TDC" or "0" mark first, while cranking in a clockwise direction is the TDC notch.

Now this is the way that it is SUPPOSED to be. Your pulley might be funky. I have ran into a couple wierd pulleys in the past. So, if it doesn't feel right when you set it to the first notch, try the second one. Yet I doubt that you'll have any issues.

Comment

The crank shaft gear is post to match the oil pan mark then put the pulley boss on and it should be pointing at 12 o clock. right so far ? what about cam i know z straight up but how do u know when it set right cause the engine is at a slant ? you still post to put it straight at 12 o clock and how do u match up the other marks on cam ? with ruller ? set ruller striaght on where valve gasket goes then turn cam till it matchs mark..... but there two marks

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda bpt View Post
                              The crank shaft gear is post to match the oil pan mark then put the pulley boss on and it should be pointing at 12 o clock. right so far ? what about cam i know z straight up but how do u know when it set right cause the engine is at a slant ? you still post to put it straight at 12 o clock and how do u match up the other marks on cam ? with ruller ? set ruller striaght on where valve gasket goes then turn cam till it matchs mark..... but there two marks

Sounds right for the crank so far,cam marks line up even with the head ,sure use a ruler .Dont forget to turn the engine twice to check before putting it all back together.