Timing Belt Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Belt Change

What's the best way to go at this beast? My step-son is 2 hours away in a Gen1 with a bad water pump, so going to have to pull the timing belt to get to it.. I've got the AllData info, but his 'mechanic' (who I don't know) is saying he would need to pull the engine to do this. Is he hosing? Every other pully/timing situation I've dealt with (granted, on other cars) I've been able to go thru the Fender lining.. Is it the same here? Any Suggestions/Hints on tackling this?

Thanks!

no you dont have to pull the motor, that mechanic is a noob lol. you do have to pull out the dipstick tube to give you some space to remove the waterpump.if it has a/c just unbolt it and you will have easier access to the two bolts that hold the lower rad hose neck. this one is actually a pretty easy t belt to do, just make sure you glue the waterpump gasket to the waterpump to aid in instalation, it will save you from a little ass pain. oh and make sure your at tdc before you pull off the belt
    91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

If my daughter wasn't in town I'd take a ride out since you are only a town over. Could get the whole job done in about 1.5hrs. Grab a haynes manual. I've used their instructions when doing a belt/pump and its pretty straight forward. Whenever a mech is saying "lift the motor to get to xxxx part" it usually means he'll rape you to do the job. Its tight in there but you won't have to lift the motor.
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

You will have to get under the valve cover with a crescent wrench or wrench that fits the squares/hexes on the camshafts so that you can turn them to get the timing belt on right. As soon as you remove the old timing belt the cams will jump a few teeth clockwise or counterclockwise because of the springs in the valve train. Remember to reference where the timing marks are in the cam gears and the crankshaft cog/sprocket. There is a reference arrow and mark in the crankshart sprocket that hold the timing belt-it is to be pointed at noon. You'll see when it is pointing at noon and the engine is at TDC on #1 that there are little marks on each cam gear that are at noon as well. When the belt is removed those cam gears are going to move on you. When you go back on with the new belt it takes some effort to get those cam marks moved back to the noon position.

When you go to tighten the belt tensioner let the spring do all the tensioning. Don't push the tensioner to tighten the belt more or it will be too tight. Just install the spring on the tensioner pulley then tighten it when ever it wants to sit and you'll be ready to go.

If you aren't in a hurry to get the job done you could order the Stainless steel water pump and water pump outlet gaskets from Mazda instead of using the paper gaskets. I have the part numbers somewhere.

Comment

SS Water pump gasket: B6BF-15-116
          SS Water pump outlet gasket: B366-15-165

Good Luck Have Fun

Comment

Working...
          X