Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WH's 4wd

WorldHazard's (Jason) 1990 Mazda Protege AWD Build Progress
    This is where i'll keep more recent additions to the awd bg.

Feel free to comment on the project with what has been done. Just please stay on the subject of the project.. Nothing else.. Thanks!

(2005)
    Here's what she looked like when i first got her

first thing i did was custom paint matched the mirrors. got some power mirros which matched my previous dx. emerald green. got some walmart paint for em

then i got my rear garnish and gtx spoiler
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Ya, well the spoiler paintjob didnt turn out quite how i wanted it. the color at least, paintjob turned out GREAT.
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

got my rear strut tower bar in

Custom made a fuel cut-off switch

and got the sweet miata wheels on

Comment

(2006)
        ok. im runnin into a dilema. currently debating wether to do bpt, or just build a bp..... the plans for the car would be autocross, rally, and track.... and im thinking for autox and rally, turbo neccessarily wouldnt be great... so im almost thinking about leanin towards bp only now...

Comment

(April '06)
          Here's what i did today too

JDM grille, headlights and corners! WOO

Comment

5/8/06

So basically all the cosmetics are done... Exterior wise at least.. a few things are going to be done, but nothing to make a big difference.. This is with the spoiler on and how the car sits right now...

Btw, i got her up and running again... YAY!! still gotta get the motor taken care of though

Got my reverse glow gauges installed.. still gotta get the lights workin, relocated the oil temp gauge to the interior, painted the center armrest console from the 3rd gen pro, and finished my first fiberglass attempt.. Where the cupholder compartment is on the center console, its now a solid peice across where i plan to have the gauges... Out of site for a clean look from outside

All i need for exterior Familia swap is the front and rear bumpers now.. Ugh.. Wanna help?

Comment

5/25/06
              -got the fire extuingisher installed
              -in the attempt to remove the oem antenna and wire up the aftermarket one, i dicided to remove all the internal pillars and will be painted black to go along with everything else.. In the process of removing the pillars, i also decided to remove the headliner, and i will re-line that with the black felt i lined my rear deck lid with.. It's gonna look good... Oh.. and i found the connectors for the aftermarket antenna this way too! haha wasn't planning on it
              -installed a damn license plate mountin kit on the front
              -wired up a light source for the oil temp gauge
              -completely gutted the truck.. no more plastic or anything, all metal.. gonna drive it across the street to the industrial vacuum thingy and get all the crap from the tire bay out.. YAY!!

I made some progress today! yay me!

*pics to come once i get a camera down there again

Comment

5/29/06
                I painted all the interior pillar panels black, and re-lined my headliner with black fabric.. used 1 can of paint.. $3.00 and bought 3 yards of fabric.. $8.00, 3 yards was a couple feet too much, but i have plans for the extra.. the stuff was barely wide enough to reach side to side on the liner.. scared me a bit, but ti worked.. and the stuff looks great..

So the interior is black all except the seats.. Looks good, feel's quite a bit more comftorable now too.. I'm very pleased...

Comment

Ok, here's pics of the previous couple days... I also FINALLY got those gauges wrokin! they're lit up now!! woohoo!!!

Here's a couple pillar pics. They use to be that ugly white/grey... kinda dirty color.. now they're black...

This pic makes the pillar look like crap... but it doesnt look that way normally... the flash went off and i guess u can see the flaws.. but it looks good in person

And here's the headliner.. I love how it turned

Comment

oh ya.. got the gauges wired now so when u turn the lights on, the gauges turn on.. just like oem.. not having to use that damn switch

Comment

(June '06)
                      Ya.. major let down... When i get my motor which is hopefully in a month.. I just realized i can't do the install myself..

I have no=where to do it.. The car is in a storage unti, garage.. they let me work on it all the time, but doing a motor swap.. 1.. no room foor two motors haha.. and 2.. That's way more than i'm allowed to do.. So.. i'm gonna have to fork out more damn money for a shop.. This really suckjs, because.. i Really wanna do the swap myself, but.. At least if a shop does it.. they'll do it right.. I hope.. instead of a novice doin it...

Btw, my house is in a retirement community.. 55 and older only.. We've lived here a while so we get to stay, but they dont allow anything done to the cars.. Not even oil changes.. heh.. so i can't do it here... um.. ****!!!

Comment

Btw, here's how the clears look now.. swapped the usdm headlights after cleaning and clears on, took off jdm

Comment

(Oct '06)
                          SO it's been a little while on updates...

Latest with the motor.. I got ****ED from the dude in cali $700.. waiting to recieve the money back... Got a shot for a motor in Vancouver for $600 installed..

While i was paying for the motor, i was also paying for the Viscous rear LSD.. came in the mail last night.. w00t... and um.. well.. i'm doing a couple little things on my days off to make the car look a little nicer, i'll post pics when complete.. Just figured i'd update.. I'm so ****ing tired of this crap with motors...

Comment

(Oct '08)
                            So.. I've had a motor thanks to Jon (1stGen). It sits in South Salem, while the car still resides in West Salem and I live in Silverton. good 25 miles to either thing from where i live. I swear to freaking god the ball is rolling now. Mayb slow, but it's rolling at least. I have a list of things to do before/while the engine is out and our being swapped. The 'mods' are categorized as to the time frame I PLAN to have them done. Stage 1 is while the engine is being dropped. Stage 2 is as close to the time frame of the car hitting the road. and stage 3 is the 'finished' product as opposed to track mods

Stage 1:
                            Brake line: $89 Corksport (Corksport)
                            Clutch Line: $18 Corksport SS Braided (Corksport)
                            Urethane Exhaust Hanger Kit: $56 (Corksport)
                            Mass Air Flow Meter: B-Code RX-7
                            Disty Cap: *$12.99 PN(F988)
                            Water Pump: *$25.99 Duralast PN(BWP-642)
                            timing belt: *$27.99 Duralast Dayco PN(95179)
                            alternator belt (that thing's a bitch to get to with the engine in the car)
                            oil pump: $187 Mazdaspeed corksport.com High volume
                            fuel filter: *$20.09 PN(FF736)
                            front and rear main seals: can't find
                            heater hoses: can't find
                            fuel pump: need part number. prefer Walbro
                            oil pan gasket: can't find
                            valve cover gasket: can't find
                            sway bar/bushings: found multiple online, not sure what i want/need
                            steering rack bushings: didn't see any
                            O2 Sensor: *$21.99 Bosch PN(11027)
                            Thermostat: *$12.99 Duralast PN(41492)
                            Spark Plugs: NGK Prem. Iridium PN(4589)
                            Ignition Wires: $47 NGK (Corksport)
                            Brake Pads: Hawk performance pads

Stage 2:
                            CAI: custom or eBay special
                            Clutch: $472 Clutch Masters Stage 1 kit and aluminum flywheel
                            Shortshifter: $20 (eBay)/ likely Fidanza though
                            Brake Rotors:
                            Tires: Hankook Ventus
                            Wheels: prolly my sweet lil miata wheels

Stage 3:
                            Cam Gears: $316 MS Adjustable Set (Corksport)
                            HV Oil Pump: $187 Mazdaspeed (Corksport)
                            Struts: $95 ea. Tokico (Corksport)
                            Springs: Dropzone: $130 (Ebay)/ Groundcontrol Coilovers $399 (Corksport)
                            Seat: $289 Ultra Shield RallySport w/ Cover (saferacer.com)

I'm doing everything to keep it all as realistic as possible this time. And I feel confident this is IT!

Comment

(April '09)
                              uh.. 6 mos since anything has happened... The car has been relocated twice... 2 different towns each time... it's currently a lil over an hours drive from where I live...

Anyway, thanks to Joel and Jon, we were able to get the POS motor out... and now I get to start cleaning everything up, prepping the BP, and get it in. Got a nice list of stuff to replace growing.. and it's growing fast... So ya.. No idea how long till it's driving under it's own power.. But its the best progress it's seen in a few years.

Cool thing though, the guy who I bought the car from, and the guy who I bought the BP from both had a part in it so far. Haha. Thanks guys! Here's some pics...

Front axels are toast... Snapped both sway bar bolts... Replacing every bushing I can think of.

Comment

Working...
                              X