Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planned Air Intake mod for Ford laser '00 model (3rd gen 323) Please give input!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planned Air Intake mod for Ford laser '00 model (3rd gen 323) Please give input!

G'day all!

I've been planning this mod for a few months now. But I never really got it off the ground until last week when i made the fibre glass mould. Unfortuantley today whilst working out how to mount it my old man drove in the adjacent driveway and crushed my fibre glass mould!!! (sorry i'm addicted to those icons).

Anyway it is back to the drawing board so before I do anything I would like your input.

The plan is to use the lower right fog light mount as an air scoop. running piping up and directly to the airbox.

The only main issue is the large liquid and particle debris. I have found a solution to this which i will talk about later on.

The mod:

The plan is to insert a fibre glass mould into the circled area. I believe this is for the fog lights (actually i know this I just do not think i'm using the right terminology.). From there I will use 6.5cm diameter flexible hosing (from a local hardware store) that will connect to the fibre glass mould that will travel up infront of the coolant tank (see image below area circled as pink)

once it is out of that hole it will go directly into the air box connector. The image below shows a pink circle; where the pipe goes up from. And it will show an area circled in green; where the pipe will be going down.

The main focus in this entire project is the mould. Being able to tech draw my original diagram was done by hand which I was planning on putting onto cad but never really was bothered about it. Instead I have a grade A mspaint job of what it basically does.

The image shows the blue lines as the air flow into the flexible piping. The small "tit" to the right is intended to act as an filter for larger, heavier particles. There is an small hole at the back of the "tit" which is about 1/2 inch in diamater. Hopefully any large amounts of water/dust/rock/rubbish will be forced into this area and blown out reducing the amount of rubbish my air filter will have to deal with. in the event that any debris would go into the tube it would be a 2ft (i think thats about right) straight up ascent before it would billow over and into the air box.

Thats the end of my description. What are your thoughts?

Also, is there a better substitution for fibre glass? I tried manipulating soft plastic but it is not very malleable. And i do not realy want to make one out of metal because any oxidation will go straight to the engine.

Bonsai-out!
    Diary of a nerd;
    A life? Cool! Where can i download one of those from?

Mazda 323 trapped in a Ford Laser body! Thats my story

seems feasable, i have never seen it done on a 3rd gen, but sure give it a shot, not sure if you will gian any noticable power,(prolly not) but it cant hurt to try. and is a good winter project.
    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
    225.94wtq
    torque monster!!!!
    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by THEGOLDPRO
      seems feasable, i have never seen it done on a 3rd gen, but sure give it a shot, not sure if you will gian any noticable power,(prolly not) but it cant hurt to try. and is a good winter project.
      The idea is that whilst traveling it will direct air straight into the scoop which should give more +tive air pressure for the engine.

Think of it like an exponential curve. Whilst idle there will be no air being forced in so there will be little to no power gain, but the faster you go the more air is being forced into the duct.
      Diary of a nerd;

Comment

right i get the concept of a ram air effect, notice i said "noticable power gains" im just not sure this will RAM enough air to make a noticable diffrence.
        .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
        225.94wtq
        torque monster!!!!
        dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
        http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
        http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by THEGOLDPRO
          right i get the concept of a ram air effect, notice i said "noticable power gains" im just not sure this will RAM enough air to make a noticable diffrence.
          True true, im doing a bit more reading up on the RAM effect and i see where you are coming from.
          Diary of a nerd;

Comment

bonsai,

I am very interested in your planned intake mod. Based on my own research, I believe that ram air can have a noticeable, positive effect on performance. For more information here, go to:

I think you will find this information useful in light of what you plan to do.
            02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
            MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
            MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
            MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
            Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
            Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
            Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
            Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
            Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
            Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
            Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

goldstar,

Thanks for the input. I have already read your post and have found it once again to be very useful! thank you very much! I will be posting my results on here about it soon, the only thing remaining is for me to reconstruct my intake.. which could take a few days. Any suggestions on better materials other than fibreglass?
              Diary of a nerd;

Comment

bonsai,

I'm glad you found the post useful. Since I've never actually constructed a duct myself I'm afraid I can't be too helpful here. The only suggestions I have come from Edgar's article. You might try substituting PVC pipe for the hose wherever possible since the interior of the PVC being smoother than the interior of the hose would provide smoother, less turbulent air flow. Also, where the duct has to change direction, you might try using PVC elbows instead of flex tubing for the same reason. You might end up using a combination of flex and PVC together for best results.

The drain hole in the scoop area is an excellent idea and should prevent most rain water from reaching the filter. However, the fog light opening where the scoop will be is fairly low on the car so puddles and standing water on the road could be a real problem in flooding conditions. I'm sure you're aware of the potential for hydrolock so you will have to be careful there.

In terms of the scoop itself, I would think that constructing it out of fiberglass would be the most likely possibility. It might also be possible to find a plastic funnel that had a sufficiently large intake area with an outlet that could be securely fastened to the PVC pipe or hose. Although we're not talking about an aerodynamically perfect design here, a scoop with a simple funnel shaped opening is an improvement over a simple rectilinear opening in the intake. The theory is that the funnel shape, by guiding the intake air by its convergence into the intake duct, reduces the turbulence of the incoming air and therefore allows a greater volume of air to be ingested into the duct than would be possible without the scoop.

The only other thought I have is that it might be possible to have a screen or mesh in front of the scoop to keep larger objects picked up from the road out of the intake. On my car, for example, although I don't have fog lights, there are plastic grill pieces in place of where they mount. It might be possible to retain the grill and mount the scoop directly behind it.

Again, best of luck with your project and keep us informed.

02 DX Millenium Red
                02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

The use of a funnel that Goldstar suggested is a good one and you might look for a canning funnel. They have a wide mouth to help fill the canning jars. Also you might get a used filter box form a salvage yard to play with and block the original inlet then create one on the side of the box. That way it is more of a strait shot to it. Just brain storming.
                  Randy
                  Sand Mica
                  2002.5 ES A/T
                  Texas Spokes Sports Car Club
                  HS 26

Comment

Working...
                  X