Aluminum Flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum Flywheel

We race on a 1/4 mile dirt track. Stock 91 Tracer 5 spd. How much will an aluminum flywheel 9 lb. help on acceleration? It is legal to do but it is about 350-400 bucks for one and a lot of work to install.

Also has anyone that races front wheel drive on dirt tried to weld the gears in the differential to get true possitraction? I know it would help a lot for traction coming out of the corners. What do you think? Thanks.

Oh by the way it is a LTS 1.8 Mazda engine.

Comment

I think a 9lb will help throttle response a bit, and helps the rpms drop when downshifting. Depending on how you launch, the heavier flywheel's inertia may actually help a bit to keep the engine's revs up between shifts.

As far as a lincoln locker on dirt, I think it would be fine. Some rally guys, who've exploded the Quaife diffs on gravel, have gone with a welded one, and they worked much better for them, until they got some good clutch/plate-type diffs.

good luck!

--sarge

Comment

The race is started from a rolling start. We do not shift during the race. The car just stays in 2nd gear.

Comment

you could always get the flyinmiata flywheel it comes in both 10&13lbs and its not aluminum http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...500%20%2010.30

Comment

a lightweight flywheel wont add much power up top where you will be spending most of your time driving but you may benefit from welding the diff spider gears
            I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
            |.....Overnight....................| ||
            |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
            |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
            "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
            Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Working...
            X