Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check engine light came on

Hello all,
    I recently bought a 1998 Protege 1.5 and it runs just fine. The only thing I did was increase the idle slightly. The car idles better but the check engine light came on. Garages around here want anywhere from 75 to 100 bucks to hook up the code reader. I did a site search but couldn't get anything that applied. Any ideas?
    thx,
    baz

For that much money you could buy a code reader .
    98 protege lx 1.8l
    short ram intake custom
    crane hi-6 ign.
    14 miata alloy wheels
    .50 over pistons and some other tricks .

my protege

Comment

one time i got quoted 40$ to check a code;
      and i thought that wuz expensive;
      | Ejaz | '98 Protegé | '02 Protegé5 |

Comment

Turns out the 'check engine' light was the gas cap. There's a relief valve button in the middle of the gas cap. I guess you have to press that every time you put fuel in the car. Soon as did that, the 'check engine' light went out. Then I read on the net that winter grade of gas has a higher sulfur content up here in Canuckleheadland and that sets off some fuel sensor or other.

Comment

Also, if the light comes on again, you can bring it to an auto parts store, such as Advance Auto Parts or Autozone, and they should be able to read the codes for free. Not sure what parts stores are near you though, but I'd check there first before overpaying for a shop to do it.

Comment

Code reader Site

Go to AutoZone, Code Read's it's free, almost here in Tijuana, Mexico

take care..

Comment

Working...
            X