My Project.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Project.....

Well, I might as well start a thread here that helps me to document what work I do to my "project" from here on out. It's pretty far along and there's not too many more mods that I am interested in doing. I's more like maintenance than mods.... although, I have to admit that when repairs or maintenance needs to be done, I'm always looking to making improvements rather than just fixing it like a stock GT. Most of you guys know what I already drive. It's been great, but it sure seems like it's been a target lately. I'll try to make periodic posts with pics to keep eveybody up to speed.

Right now? I'm dealing with the "cracked exhaust manifold" situation which has been a common problem with this car. Well, it finally happened to me. I thought I was going to luck out, too. Dang.

Well, I know it's been a long time since I'ver posted on this thread, but I've been busy.... surprise, surprise..... I finally got the truck to pass emissions up here in Washington State. It was close, but even with the downdraft Weber (and hooking up lines to the charcoal filter and such... deleted the EGR... did NOT install the brand new catalytic converter) I passed! Woot! I'm happy!

Anyway, now I'm back to trying to do some work on the GT. I'm baking the new exhaust mani in the oven as I type since I just painted it with 2000 degree ceramic paint to really cure it. Following directions... bake it once at 250 for 30 minutes let cool for 30. Bake it a second time at 400. Let cool for 30 min. Bake it a third time at 600! I'm going to stink up the house tonight! Red exhaust manifold. It's pretty cool looking. Plan on building a custom heat shield eventually. I'd post pics but I don't know how yet on this forum.

Still looking for the hot-side of a stock VJ-14 for my turbo hybrid rebuild. Anybody got one? Kyle?

Next I hope to install the cruise control. Can't wait.

Comment

Are you looking for the housing or the actual turbine impeller and cartridge?
      Mazda
      1988 Black 323 GT
      DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Subscribed

Comment

Originally posted by FamiliaGT View Post
          Are you looking for the housing or the actual turbine impeller and cartridge?
          Now that you ask.... I'm not sure. I have never done a hybrid build and therefore I don't know what parts I need from each turbo to make it work. Can anybody help on this? Maybe I'll just sell the VJ-11 and rebuild a VJ-14 if it's going to be too much work getting the right parts.... keep it stock (sort of... I'd port the openings).

I'm most likely coming down next week. Maybe we can meet up.

Comment

All you need off the VJ11 is the Compressor wheel and housing. Use either the VJ11 or VJ14 RHB5 center cartridge with the VJ11 compressor housing and wheel with the VJ14 Exhuast housing and turbine wheel. Its ever so slightly bigger.
            Mazda
            1988 Black 323 GT
            DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Originally posted by FamiliaGT View Post
              All you need off the VJ11 is the Compressor wheel and housing. Use either the VJ11 or VJ14 RHB5 center cartridge with the VJ11 compressor housing and wheel with the VJ14 Exhuast housing and turbine wheel. Its ever so slightly bigger.
              Well, I'm starting to wonder if the VJ-11 would just drop right in? Has anybody done this? What mods need to be done to accomplish this?

Comment

If you have the vj11 exhaust elbow it'll bolt right in if you reroute the coolant lines.
                12 cbr250r: daily ride
                01 saab 9-3: daily
                98 gsxr 1100: for sale
                93L: money pit/ space waster
                92GL: low and slow beater
                90?: the rust free shell
                89LX: swapping to rust free shell
                89L: for sale
                89L: parts
                87 conquest: dohc 4g64 swap underway
                76+80 vw dashers: for sale

Comment

Originally posted by shorestiva View Post
                  If you have the vj11 exhaust elbow it'll bolt right in if you reroute the coolant lines.
                  A VJ-11 exhaust elbow from what car? I have a VJ-11 from a B2000 turbo truck (very rare truck) and the elbow is actually part of the first catalytic converter. I unbolted that part and I'm looking at the five-bolt pattern near the wastegate on the turbo. I take it (based on what you just mentioned) that this bolt pattern is not exactly the same or is in the exact same location as my stock exhaust elbow?

I'm going to guess that the exhaust elbow you're referring to is from a 626GT or MX-6 turbo? Does anyone have the right elbow that shorestiva is talking about? And, re-routing the coolant lines..... do you mean bend the metal tubes or are there other lines available that work such that I can avoid having to bend the ones I have? Or, are you talking about re-routing the rubber-hose portion of the coolant lines such that I don't have to mess with the metal coolant tubes currently attached to the turbo? Sorry about all the questions, but I'm just trying to make sure I understand everything clearly so that I don't screw something up or make matters harder.
                  Last edited by LN323; 02-09-2010, 02:34 PM.

Comment

WE NEED PICS lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

You need the mx6/probe elbow its a slightly different bolt pattern than the vj14. I think its the just the rubber lines but I'm not shure.
                      12 cbr250r: daily ride
                      01 saab 9-3: daily
                      98 gsxr 1100: for sale
                      93L: money pit/ space waster
                      92GL: low and slow beater
                      90?: the rust free shell
                      89LX: swapping to rust free shell
                      89L: for sale
                      89L: parts
                      87 conquest: dohc 4g64 swap underway
                      76+80 vw dashers: for sale

Comment

the wastegate actuator will also hit the block. you'll need to drill holes and mount it closer to the turbo its pretty simple and doesnt effect performance at all.
                        festiva #1 stock daily 63 whp FTW

festiva #2 bp+t, sink trap style turbo setup, g series trans, thunderturd 60 trim, 550cc's, s-afc, rx7 vaf, 38mm external wastegate, fmic, etc.... let me know how the taillights look

Comment

Dang, Larry, weren't you taking notes for the last 5 years on 323P? LMAO.

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                            WE NEED PICS lol
                            Okay, okay..... here's what I've been working on.....

This is the turbo before the rebuild.....

Here it is after the rebuild....

Here's the repaired exhaust manifold after it's also been painted with 2000 degree ceramic paint.

Still might redo part of the rebuild and go for a VJ11/VJ14 hybrid since I have read that the VJ14 hot-side is more durable than that of the VJ11. Still indecisive.

BTW, it's my birthday today... I'm officially half a century!

Comment

Im going to hate you when I turn 50.

Happy BitchDay Larry!!!

...I mean birthday.
                              Mazda
                              1988 Black 323 GT
                              DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Working...
                              X