Removing Headliner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Headliner?

I'm reading the service manual and i'm trying to figure out how easy it is to pull out the headliner in a protege. basically they state you should pull all trim pieces, mirror, shades..etc... but does this fully involve ripping out the pillar covers (ie the nice trim plastic going around the driverside door and the piece running down the split between the front and rear doors). how easily is this done? i have the intention of possibly cleaning the headliner easily and dynamatting the roof a little bit. although this diagram does include the protege with sunroof, i can still use it for my application. has anybody done this or taken apart the plastic trim i speak of to make this a feasible project. thanks in advance,
    kevin
    Attached Files

yes, remove everything. Don't need to remove the mirror tho. The headliner is going to be quite brittle, if you try to flex it from behind panels etc, it will crack.

The sunroof has it's own headliner panel that snaps onto the metal sunroof panel.

Comment

me and vormav removed his and replaced it in less that an 1 1/2 hrs, like mazdaracer said it will break if flexxed but it will take a litle bit.

his wasnt an sunroof headliner tho, and yes you have to remove everything
      No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

yep.. i dont wanna sound like an echo .. but EVERYTHING must be taken out .... the main thing ot remember is to be patient and get a buddy t help you.. its difenately a 4 hand job esp. when you try to get the new on into the car
        Pewter Silver 92 DX 5 Spd 1.8L SOHC
        -Stainless steel MagnaFlow exhaust with a double walled tip.
        -205/50/15 Bridgestone Potenza RE910 rubber
        -B&M Short Throw Shifter
        -MX-3 GS front seats
        -Front an Rear upper strut braces

(LOOKING FOR A CAI FOR MY SOHC !!!!)
        (GT-X on the way as I type)

Comment

I recall my 88 Chevy Beretta. The headliner thin material was hanging down so bad that I had a guy do the job. It cost $50 with materials included. He took the thing off and put it on the floor. He stepped on it and swept off the foam that was old and loose that had made the fabric detach itself from it. He then took it to a table where he sprayed glue on the the little foam left. He then placed a sheet of foamy material that replaced the fabric. This would be what one would see now when you sat in the car. He then put the part back on my car's interior and was perfect after that. He used to get called to many area bodyshops to do this. It was so second nature that he must have done this in 20 minutes. I don't recall helping him but I may have. It's been about 9 years since that.

Comment

Working...
          X