WHereS my TAchometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHereS my TAchometer

On the 2 hour ride home with the new ride and joy ... i noticed something .. something that really bugged me ... There was NO tachometer in my gauge cluster... no i dont know if its just the trim model "DX"...i much swap out a new cluster than drill and mount an external one...

Well, my LX has a tach. Find another model with a tach and swap it over. (not sure if this will work, I know it does with first gen models)

Comment

you need to stay within the correct years. use 95-96 lx or es cluster to replace a dx. same goes for 97-98
      95 ES
      05 S60R

Comment

Reconsider mounting an external digital tach. Much more accurate and precise than OEM, and large, easy to read numerals even in the 2 1/16" gauge size. After all, if it's good enough for Formula 1 and Indycar it ought to be good enough for us.

I use a Cyberdyne digital tach myself.

Embrace digital, it's the wave of the future.

Happy Motoring!
        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

its a 98 dx ...

Comment

I agree, it will be more acurate but there are no good mounting places that don't look like crap within the ideal mounting height.
            95 ES
            05 S60R

Comment

yeah thats my fear ... i dont want people to just see that and go o it must be a Race car ... ill see if i can come up with something...

Comment

Originally posted by MAjdm View Post
                yeah thats my fear ... i dont want people to just see that and go o it must be a Race car ... ill see if i can come up with something...

trust me, no one will think its a race car... maybe a rice car.

just find a 97-98 lx or es gauge cluster and call it a day. keeps it nice and stock but now you can watch your rpms. a marginally inaccurate tach is better than none.
                95 ES
                05 S60R

Comment

Ive done this swap in my 96,it was plug and play
                  Powered by ACME

Comment

I have an Autometer 5" tach with shift light i'd sell cheap lol

94 Pro LX- 3-hole. Familia seats, Infini Corners, Familia Grille, Familia Rear Garnish w/Rear fogs EDM Glass headlights,
                    MSP Mazdaspeed Muffler,Mazdaspeed front strut bar,'00 Pro ES wheels, Neuspeed Springs,GR2s, MX3 wheel, MX3 Tall armrest

Comment

i did the swap in my car.
                      i was lucky though ..

the tach stores the mileage so.. if u find a tach with 456349634609miles on it..well ur car is gonna look like its ancient
                      | Ejaz | '98 Protegé | '02 Protegé5 |

Comment

yeah i was thinking about that im sure theress some way to switch a cluster over along with the miles its most likely a pain and half but possible .. but over all in the mean time ill try to find a location for a aftermarket one

Comment

from what I can tell the odometer block or section is held in with 2 screws on the back, for a 95. With that said it appears to be removable thus changeable. I've never dissected the cluster that far so I'm not sure.
                          95 ES
                          05 S60R

Comment

Originally posted by MAjdm View Post
                            yeah i was thinking about that im sure theress some way to switch a cluster over along with the miles its most likely a pain and half but possible .. but over all in the mean time ill try to find a location for a aftermarket one
                            Here's where I mounted mine. The tach is mounted in an Autometer 2 1/16" metal mounting cup bolted to the upper steering column cover. This location provides excellent visibility and the ability to see the tach without having to take my eyes very far off the road. The digital numerals are larger and more readable than the equivalent figures on even a 5" mechanical tach. The stock instrument panel is not obscured except for a portion of the high end of the speedo - simply not a problem - as it can be seen by a slight movement of the head.

Since the photos were taken, the wiring harness has been covered with black wire loom and the 1/4" mounting bolts have been painted flat black to match the cup color. Pretty decent looking if I do say so myself.

But, of course, that's only my opinion and I could be wrong.

Happy Motoring!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by goldstar; 12-23-2009, 12:32 PM.
                            02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                            MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                            MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                            MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                            Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                            Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                            Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                            Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                            Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                            Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                            Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

nice yeah i could end up tucking something like that into the dash and keeping a stock look..

Comment

Working...
                              X