X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your rig?

What kinda equipment do you guys use?

Mine's a Lincoln SP-175 Plus.

small photo, I wasn't able to find a larger one easily. I'll have to go take some soon.

220V, single-phase. Says it can weld up to 5/16" steel, although I've not had to weld anything that thick yet.

Nothing super fancy, but it isn't the bottom-of-the-barrel, either. It's been really great so far. It's been a great welder for all the projects that I've had to do so far, but I'm not on it all day long welding on heavy machinery, either.

I'll take some more photos and get them online soon.

--sarge

At work i have a Lincoin electric simmilar to above for tacking/**** welds, also have a cigweld 180 3 phase water cooled tig welder ac/dc, at home i have a weldsmart ac/dc single phase.

Still cant weld alloy but haha

Comment

I've been using a lincoln weld pak 100 110V flux core (no $$ for the mig kit yet). Its a great welder for body work, other than that maybe if you take a ton of passes.
      2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
      1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

I've got one o' them 220v Miller "millermatic 172" MIG's. I like it. I liked it a lot better when I got an autodarkening helmet. At the rate I was breaking stuff, not just car stuff, and paying someone else to fix it, I figure that machine paid for itself in about a year.
        '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
        '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

^^ very nice rig, we built our senior project with one of those... it penetrated just about everything we threw at it!
          2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
          1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

I have a bottom-of-the-barrel "Princess Auto" (Harbor Freight to you U.S. guys) 220v gas-mig. Does a **** job, but it gets the job done.

I wish I had a nice small welder for all the light little sheet metal things I do.
            I peered out from the castle window and looked over the splendor of ROTM county. Yes, twas' a much simpler time back then. Peasants would go about their postings, and I, the mod, would rule over them with an iron fist.

Comment

I think I'm going to be trolling Craigslist for some type of rig in Jan. The local Hobart Tools has a cheap Chicago Electric but friends tell me a cheap welder is more trouble than it's worth. A good welder is just too fricken expensive new so we'll see what the God's of used tools delivers to my door.
              1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
              1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
              2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
              1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Oh yeah!! I actually ran across this photo the other day, so I'll post it.

The first project I did with the welder was to make a welding cart for it. I used an old bedframe that was just lying around. I chose larger pneumatic wheels, so I can roll it out into the driveway easier. Although, I will be changing it at some point, to have two wheels in front, rather than just one. It gets a little tippy if not handled right, and I'd rather not have anyone inadvertently tip it over on themselves.

--sarge

Comment

I am running a old miller sycrowave 250 for tig with a water cooler, and I also use a trusty hobart 110. Very reliable!
                  Sean
                  1988 Mazda 323 gtx
                  1.8 bp-t swap

Comment

lincoln 140 mig here. im just starting to use it to. just shopping for a gas tank now.

Comment

Millermatic 180 Mig (home); Miller Dynasty 700 (work); Lincoln 255 Mig w/ spool (for sale)

Anyone else ever Tig @ 660 amps? very hot!
                      Later, Jay

Comment

Working...
                      X