Denso: http://www.densoautoparts.com/spark-plugs
    NGK USA: http://ngksparkplugs.com
    NGK Canada: http://www.ngksparkplugs.ca
    An NGK and Denso vendor: http://sparkplugs.com
    '02 FSM

Not all usable spark plugs listed.

NGK Spark Plug Types
    V-Power:
    Nickel alloy V-grooved center electrode; nickel alloy ground electrode. OEM for all Proteges listed here except the MSP.

G-Power: Platinum alloy tip center electrode, .6 mm diameter; nickel alloy ground electrode.

Iridium IX: Iridium tip center electrode, .6 mm diameter; nickel alloy tapered ground electrode designed to minimize the "Quenching Effect." As a consequence, NGK recommends this as their performance plug for road cars. More on this later.

Laser Platinum: Laser welded platinum alloy tip center electrode; platinum disc welded to backside of ground electrode. Because its platinum surfaces ensure a slow wear rate providing a longer service life, superior anti-fouling, improved fuel efficiency, and lower emissions, it is an OEM approved design. It is OEM for the MSP.

Laser Iridium: Laser welded iridium tip center electrode; platinum disc welded to backside of ground electrode. Its iridium/platinum surfaces give it the longest service life of all NGK plugs making it an OEM approved design.

Denso Spark Plug Types
    Original U-Groove:
    Nickel alloy center electrode; U-shaped nickel alloy ground electrode. OEM for all proteges listed here except the MSP.

Platinum TT: The TT stands for twin-tips. Platinum tip center electrode, 1.1 mm diameter; rather than being flat, the ground electrode's firing pad is a free-standing titanium-enhanced tip. By opening up the space between the electrodes, without increasing the gap, quench is reduced to a considerable extent.

Double Platinum: Platinum tip center electrode; platinum ground electrode. OEM for the MSP.

Iridium Long Life: Laser welded fine wire iridium tip center electrode, .7 mm diameter; platinum ground electrode. Longest sevice life of all Denso's plugs.

Iridium Power: Laser welded fine wire iridium tip center electrode, .4 mm diameter; U-groove niclkel alloy ground electrode. Recommended as the performance plug of choice in street applications.

1999 to 2001, 1.6 L, ZM-DE Engine

NGK ZFR5F-11 V-Power type, OEM fitment
    Denso KJ16CR11 Original U-Groove, alternate OEM fitment as listed in the FSM.

NGK ZFR5FIX-11 Iridium IX type

NGK PZFR5F-11 Laser Platinum type

Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Iridium Long Life type

Arranged in order of least to most expensive, the above five spark plugs have a reach (threaded length) of 19 mm (.750"); are pre-gapped at 1.0-1.1 mm (.040"-.044"); have a heat range of 5 (or equivalent); and an extended projected tip.

1999 to 2000, 1.8 L, FP-DE Engine
    Same as FS-DE engine listed below.

2001 to 2003, 2.0 L, FS-DE Engine
    NGK BKR5E-11 V-Power type, OEM fitment
    Denso K16PR-U11 U-Groove type, alternate OEM fitment as listed in FSM.

NGK BKR5EIX-11 Iridium IX type

NGK PFR5G-11 Laser Platinum type

NGK IFR5E-11 Laser Iridium type

Denso SK16PR-L11
    Iridium Long Life type

Arranged in order of least to most expensive, the above six spark plugs have a reach (threaded length) of 19 mm (.750"); are pre-gapped at 1.0-1.1 mm (.040"-.044"); have a heat range of 5 (or equivalent); and a projected tip.

Spark Plug Substitution in the FS-DE Engine
    Following the recommendation of TheMAN, some of our Forum members with the 2.0 L, FS-DE engine (myself included), and the 1.8 L, FP-DE engine have replaced our spark plugs with those used in the 1.6 L, ZM-DE engine. The two series of plugs have identical characteristics with the sole exception that the plugs for the 1.6 L engine have an extended projected tip. This places the electrodes closer to the center of the incoming A/F mixture with apparently beneficial consequences for power production. These extended projected tip spark plugs are OEM in the JDM versions of the FS-DE and FP-DE engines.

Apparently, the extended projected tip starts the ignition flame front burning physically deeper in the combustion chamber which reduces the length of flame travel required for complete combustion. This has the effect of advancing the ignition timing which in some cases can result in raising engine power output due to the more rapid flame propagation. An additional benefit is that at high speeds the longer insulator nose is cooled by the incoming fuel charge to increase its cold heat range while at low speeds the long nose runs hotter to prevent fouling.
    Reference:
    Four-Stroke Performance Tuning, Third edition by A. Graham bell; Chapter 7: Combustion and the Ignition System, pages 236-237.

2003 Mazdaspeed Protege 2.0L, FS-DET Engine
    NGK PZFR6F-11 Laser Platinum type, OEM fitment

NGK ZFR6FIX-11 Iridium IX type

NGK IZFR6F-11 Laser Iridium type
    Denso VKJ20RZ-M11* Iridium Long Life type

* According to TheMAN, this is the Denso equivalent of the NGK IZFR6F-11. However, according to both sparkplugs.com and Denso, this is a Japanese plug only and the part is not available in the US.

Note that the above four spark plugs have the same specifications as the extended projected tip models used in the 1.6 L engine, but are one heat range colder, 6 instead of 5 (or 20 instead of 16 in the Denso nomenclature). This is necessary due to the increased heat production of the turbo engine. Also note that the OEM fitted plugs are double platinum (rather than nickel alloy) electrode types, required to maintain adequate electrode life in the more severe operating environment.

NGK Spark Plug Nomenclature
    For those of you interested in, or curious about, NGK spark plug nomenclature, the company uses alpha-numeric characters to denote specific properties. By arranging design symbols in certain orders, it can specify a spark plug's characteristics.

For example, ZFR refers to extended projected insulator, or tip, resistor type construction and either 19 mm (.750") or 22.5 mm reach.

BKR refers to projected insulator, or tip, resistor type construction and 19 mm (.750") reach.

I denotes a plug with iridium/platinum electrodes, and P signifies double platinum electrodes.

The first number in the series expresses the heat range. With Japanese plugs, the higher the number the colder the heat range. Thus, 6 is one heat range colder than 5. In the case of Denso plugs, 16 is equivqlent to 5 and 20 approximates 6.

The last numeral(s) at the end of the series, or after the hyphen, represents the electrode gap. Some examples: 11 = 1.1 mm (.044"); and 8 = .8 mm (.032").

IX before the hyphen specifies the plug as one with an iridium-tipped center electrode and a nickel alloy tapered cut ground electrode.

This has been a non-systematic, very brief overview of the NGK nomenclature. For a more detailed explanation of NGK's design symbols for spark plugs, go to:

Happy Motoring!
    Last edited by goldstar; 08-23-2013, 08:39 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Maybe cp can get some more growth in the 3rd gen department with all the knowledge you have been posting. Thank you.
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Your welcome. That's my intention and I hope it works out.

Happy Motoring!
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Upgrading Spark Plugs

If the OEM fitment calls for nickel alloy electrode plugs, and factory recommended replacement intervals are followed, there is probably little advantage in replacing them with a precious metal electrode type in stock engines, especially if cost is a consideration. However, there are at least three advantages that platinum and iridium electrodes have over those made from nickel alloy. First, platinum and iridium are harder than nickel alloy and have a higher melting point temperature (iridium more so than platinum). Consequently, they undergo a more gradual deterioration in service than the latter type permitting greatly increased spark plug change intervals, which may balance out their greater first cost over time. Second, The extra hardness and higher melting point temperature of the two precious metal electrodes allows them to be made smaller in area which reduces the voltage required to initiate a spark. This is because electron emission is increased when it takes place form a sharp point, or edge, or from a smaller curvature radius. This allows for a brighter, stronger, higher energy spark from the existing ignition system. In fact, a needle shaped electrode would provide maximum electron emission but would quickly burn away in the combustion chamber environment. Finally, the smaller center electrode surface functions to reduce the phenomenon known as quench by reducing the contact (surface) area between the electrode and the spherical flame front enabling it to more easily move outward into the combustion chamber to initiate the flame propagation phase of the combustion process.

In the case of modified engines, particularly those using FI with a consequent increase in combustion pressures, replacement with iridium/platinum types should be considered mandatory not only to ensure peak performance but also to maintain a decent service life. Cars that see frequent strip, track or autoX use could probably also benefit from an upgrade.

Aside from increased longevity, as a consequence of the reduction in the above two factors, both NGK and Denso claim a performance advantage (in any engine) when using their precious metal electrode plugs compared with the standard nickel alloy types. For a more detailed description of these two factors, refer to:

Happy Motoring!
        Last edited by goldstar; 04-02-2012, 07:43 AM.

Comment

My protege is BJ5P, Engine is ZL-DE DOHC. I've been having problem with my almost new iridium spark plugs. The engine stutters and does not run smooth. Can anyone help me in this matter? I don't like the ordinary spark plugs as the Protege is AWD and it's not as swift and responsive as with iridium spark plugs.

Grateful to anyone who could help.
          Thanks

Comment

Welcome to CP.

Isn't the BJ5P with the ZL-DE engine a 1.5 L type? I thought that this was only a JDM or European-sourced 3rd Gen model. Consequently, I don't know the correct iridium spark plug type for your car.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Hi.
              Thanks for your reply. Yes, it's a 1.5 L Engine. And I'm from Mauritius, my country was not in the list when i registered on CP, so i chose Egypt since i've spent some time there :p

Well, thank you very much for replying although i still don't know why am getting this problem :'(

Comment

What would you recommend for 2002 BJ II Protege Shades 1.6L

Comment

Welcome to CP.

Sorry, I'm totally unfamiliar with that model as it's not available in the USDM so I have no data on it. If you have access to a driver's manual or FSM for your car you should be able to obtain the information there. You might also try your local NGK website for the correct part #.

Edit:
                  Do you have the engine code for your powerplant? If it's ZM-DE (same as USDM) it will probably use the spark plug types listed above for that model.

Happy Motoring!
                  Last edited by goldstar; 12-05-2011, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks for this guide. I just installed the NGK IFR5E-11 Laser Iridiums in my 2.0L Protege. I haven't tested them out yet, but I'm hoping they help with mileage at least a little.

Comment

You're welcome. I'm glad you found it useful. The new plugs should help to reduce fuel consumption somewhat.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

I used the Denso PK16TT plugs in my 2001 ES 2.0. Coincidentally that was what was in there for the last change (I must have forgot) sparkplugs.com suggests a gap of .040 whoich I used. This is the plug rated for the 1.6 . The others only had maybe 30,000 miles on them and were doing fine. Color was tan and dry of oil. I did see some carbon traces around the round part of the plug that is threaded (what the hell is that called?). I got the TT series due to the great price ($10 for all 4 with tax). Car is a daily and not boosted. Wire were done last tune up; done the mod for the air intake that goldstar suggested. Try to run Seafoam thru it once a month.uses 1/3 of a quart every 600 miles (blowby not burning it; Ive checked). Run a K&N and a MSP rear muffler, 5-30 synthetic. Any ideas for better efficiency?

Comment

Nice choice. These should be long-lasting plugs with the twin platinum tips and it's good to see that after 30,000 miles they were still in very good shape. The color seems right-on, too. With the reduced quench area they should give better performance than standard plugs. Yes, .040"-.043" is the correct plug gap for these engines.

In terms of increased efficiency, the steps you've already taken sound good. You might want to consider a cat back exhaust system such as the one made by Racing Beat since it will reduce pumping losses (and consequently friction HP) over that possible with the MSP muffler alone. Also, if you haven't already done so, replace the transmission oil with a good synthetic to reduce driveline friction.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

i used iridium plugs (forgot the manufacturer) in my 00 ES 1.8, that were spec'd for the 1.6. I read from this site that it does help with quench and such, but is it possible that this can harm the engine or emissions system? I am currently having random p0420 and p0421 codes, and I read one case on another forum where the owner had used this set up, but the plugs were too "hot" and thus ruined the catalytic converter sooner than it should have failed. A dealership had told the owner this, so I am skeptical. Your thoughts...?

Comment

Welcome to CP.

The spark plugs spec'd for the 1999-2000 ES 1.8 L, the 1999-2001 1.6 L, and the 2001-2003 2.0 L all have the same heat range (5 for NGK and the equivalent 16 for Denso) so your engine will not be harmed from running plugs that are too "hot" from the substitution that you made. The fact that the plugs are iridium have nothing to do with the heat range. When plugs are too hot, detonation, or pre-ignition, is likely to make itself evident in the combustion chamber before the cat can be ruined. I doubt whether your cat problem (P0421) has anything to do with your spark plugs.

I have never heard of any engine problems caused by substituting the extended projected tip plugs from the 1.6 L engine for either the 1.8 L or 2.0 L types.

Note that the '03 MSP does use plugs that are one heat range colder (6 for NGK and the equivalent 20 for Denso) but that's because of the increased combustion chamber temperature of the turbo engine.

Happy Motoring!
                              Last edited by goldstar; 08-30-2012, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X