Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a gtx motor im putting in my EGT... can the head bolts be reused? if not where can i buy them and how much?

Comment

Originally posted by v8ltd View Post
      I have a gtx motor im putting in my EGT... can the head bolts be reused? if not where can i buy them and how much?
      as far as i know yes you can re-use them. if you want...check ebay for 'miata head studs' and ARP is gonna be about the only brand out there. you can find em for around 100 shipped.
      92 Pro - Daily Beater and project- current frankenstein
      sigpic

Comment

^^best option
        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

yes the BP headbolts can be reused
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

i will be running everything the vj20 has to offter.. 15psi... looking for low 200whp with MSII. I have a Cometic head gasket. I didnt want to buy stud kit because its over kill, and i couldnt fint the bolts for anything cheaper then $12.94-14.95 ea. My budget it busted already too...as usual lol. I might need to get one bolt as i could only find 9 of them so far.

will be a daily driver...

Comment

guy at the machine shop said to get new bolts and spray the head gasket with copper permatex. What year model year head bolts do i look for? any one have a good site for it?

Comment

Go to your local Kia dealer and ask for head bolts for a 95 Sephia w/ DOHC ..last time I got some they were 4 bucks each same motor 1.8L BP

Clay

Comment

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
                  Go to your local Kia dealer and ask for head bolts for a 95 Sephia w/ DOHC ..last time I got some they were 4 bucks each same motor 1.8L BP

Clay
                  this is great i will go to one on monday thanks

Comment

Originally posted by azgtx View Post

Clay
                    i went to the kia dealership and they wanted $89 for just the bolts no washers. I see these are not torque yield bolts, so if i dont have to buy new i would rather reuse them.

Comment

for a lil over 100 you can get ARP studs... or you can just re-use. lol
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by j.sher350 View Post
                        for a lil over 100 you can get ARP studs... or you can just re-use. lol
                        never had studs myself but the machine shop said its a good idea to re tighten them every now and then. i dont want to keep taking the valve cover off, its a daily driver. I dont want the car to be high maintenance.

anywhere else i can get the bolts cheaper?

Comment

theres no need to re-torque head studs.

these aren't aluminum wheels goin 85 down the freeway. (aluminum wheels should be retorqued every 50-100 miles after being pulled off ) you dont have that kind of flex and stress.

but if it puts your mind at ease then go for it.
                          sigpic

Comment

see what i have learned in the past 13 years of modifying cars is that you ask 3 different people about something you get different answers from them. One performance shop tells me to do it this way and the next one says no no that way is junk do it this way.

In this case this machine shop which builds many race engines told me no to get studs. He said bolts are just as strong. The reason people use studs instead of bolts is to save the threads in the block because you can only take the heads on and off so many times before the block threads go bad. And he said for places where weather is cold and hot and back again bolts are better because they adjust better, where as a stud setup you might want to re-torque.

Either way the damage is already done. I couldnt wait any longer so i had to buy the bolts from the dealer. I searched the internet and found no place that after shipping would of been cheaper then the $14.50 from the dealer. I asked Derrick from corksport about using the kia head bolts and he said he said to get oem mazda bolts to be safe.

Comment

soooo the headbolts that came on the engine are no good or what?? you can reuse these headbolts.
                              sigpic

Comment

the head bolts were fine... but the machine shop and even corksport recommended that i change them

Comment

Working...
                                X