Can't Pass Inspection - OBD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Pass Inspection - OBD

From what I've seen through searches this seems to be a common problem, what I haven't been able to find yet is a solution. When I went for my emissions inspection I have 3 sensors failing because they indicate not ready, I need 2 or less to pass. I tried driving lots of miles, that doesn't do anything. I also tried a generic drive cycle reset:

1. cold start, idle at 2500rpm for 15 seconds then 4000 rpm for 15 seconds

2. run at 55mph in 5th gear for 1 minute, then come to a stop.

Which also didn't change anything. Would disconnecting the negative battery cable and stepping on the brake pedal to reset everything be of any help? I'd like to find a cheap solution before resorting to a shop if at all possible. I have a 1998 Protege 1.5L that runs like a dream except for this problem. Thanks

Disconnectiong the bettery will reset it, but not permanently, the codes will come back. Have you taken it to Autozone (or whatevers near you) to have the codes cleared? That's what I did with mine ('98 Protege 1.5) before I had it inspected and it stayed clear. The fault for me was a bad O2 sensor, which I ended up replacing a few months later even though the light never came back on.

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
      Disconnectiong the bettery will reset it, but not permanently, the codes will come back. Have you taken it to Autozone (or whatevers near you) to have the codes cleared? That's what I did with mine ('98 Protege 1.5) before I had it inspected and it stayed clear. The fault for me was a bad O2 sensor, which I ended up replacing a few months later even though the light never came back on.
      He's not having codes I think, just the sensors are not doing it. I have very little experience in sensors that won't 'ready' themselves.
      1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Henchman View Post
        He's not having codes I think, just the sensors are not doing it. I have very little experience in sensors that won't 'ready' themselves.
        Oh. Then I have no idea, lol. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Kpassa View Post
          From what I've seen through searches this seems to be a common problem, what I haven't been able to find yet is a solution. When I went for my emissions inspection I have 3 sensors failing because they indicate not ready, I need 2 or less to pass. I tried driving lots of miles, that doesn't do anything. I also tried a generic drive cycle reset:

1. cold start, idle at 2500rpm for 15 seconds then 4000 rpm for 15 seconds

2. run at 55mph in 5th gear for 1 minute, then come to a stop.

Which also didn't change anything. Would disconnecting the negative battery cable and stepping on the brake pedal to reset everything be of any help? I'd like to find a cheap solution before resorting to a shop if at all possible. I have a 1998 Protege 1.5L that runs like a dream except for this problem. Thanks
          It sounds like what you mean is that the car has not completed its on board tests.Which tests are still pending?
          Powered by ACME

Comment

Originally posted by Beerizfood View Post
            It sounds like what you mean is that the car has not completed its on board tests.Which tests are still pending?
            I just checked my inspection report and all it says was that it failed the readiness test. When they have the reader hooked up it gives 3 not ready codes, I shall have to go back and have them run it again so I can get the specific ones that aren't resetting.

Comment

Good idea,let me know which tests are not done.
              There may be nothing wrong other than the car needs more time
              to run the tests.
              Some tests take exacting conditions to run and complete.
              The two drive cycles you mentioned are not the be all/end all of
              testing conditions.
              Did you have an engine light on?
              Powered by ACME

Comment

No engine lights are on. The 3 that keep coming up as not ready are the catalytic converter, O2 and EGR.

Comment

Originally posted by Kpassa View Post
                  No engine lights are on. The 3 that keep coming up as not ready are the catalytic converter, O2 and EGR.
                  It sounds to me that there is more driving needed tbe done to allow the cars computer to finish testing.
                  Sometimes it can take a long time for a driver to meet all the required test cycles.Each test is done under different conditions.
                  Each test will be completed one after another,if you disconnect the battery then the sequence begins all over again .
                  Ill see if i can dig up some info .