Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unlocking the Driver Information System (Trip Computer)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlocking the Driver Information System (Trip Computer)

In 2006 when we bought my wife's 3, the following models were available, in increasing levels of trim:
    3i 4-Door Touring
    3s 4-Door Touring
    3s 4-Door Grand Touring
    3s 5-Door Touring
    3s 5-Door Grand Touring

Both Grand Touring models were equipped with a Driver Information System (DIS) which Mazda describes as a four-function trip computer displaying current and average fuel economy, distance-to-empty, and average vehicle speed. Since we purchased the 3i Touring model our vehicle did not come with this option - at least that's what Mazda would like you to believe. In fact, all 3s are fitted with this option which can be activated by following a simple setup proceedure. Obviously, Mazda means this as a perk for upscale buyers so nowhere will you find activation instructions in the driver manual's of the lesser models (such as ours) nor are dealers likely to reveal the secret. Economies of scale and manufacturing dictate that Mazda design and build a single system whether or not all functions are utilized (in my fog lightless DX, the OEM wire harness is nevertheless in place should I ever desire to install this accessory).

I didn't discover this on my own but found the instructions posted by a member on another forum who had just bought an '07 3 and had somehow acquired the information. I followed her instructions and was easily able to activate the system in my wife's car. It works as described. The readouts will appear in place of the time display at the left side of the LCD panel.

Instructions to Enable DIS Trip Computer
    1. Make sure the radio is on when you shut the car off (before you start).
    2. Before you start the engine, push and hold the CD and AM/FM buttons.
    3. Start the engine while continuing to hold the CD and AM/FM buttons.
    4. After a few seconds, the display should read "DIS ON."
    5. Stop the engine.
    6. Restart the engine.
    7. Touch the SET button to see the trip computer whose readout will display where the time display normally occurs.
    8. Toggle through the various function displays using the SET button.
    9. To turn off the DIS and switch back to the time display, touch the clock button.

For US 3s, the display is in English (Imperial) units; Canadian 3s may display in SI units. I don't know if this proceedure will also work in '04 and '05 3s but it's certainly worth a try if you're so inclined.

If just one person uses these instructions to enable DIS, and finds great joy and happiness as a result, it will have truly made my day.

Happy Motoring!

Photo 1. Display control buttons
    Photo 2. Time display
    Photo 3. Average vehicle speed in mph display
    Photo 4. Average fuel economy in mpg display
    Photo 5. Miles-to-empty display
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goldstar; 02-28-2010, 09:10 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

this is sure a nice feature. thanks for sharing
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

IT great. USually off by a few miles. BUt pretty close. MIne woudl say 28.6 and i caculated 27.3

Unlocked it within the first week. and love it.

Comment

Working...
      X