No announcement yet.

FE DOHC 2.2 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only specified I need Mazda/FWD configuration, it was very easy. Best of all, it arrived as maxi letter to my post office. It was never taxed or dutied, I guess the customs were too preoccupied with looking for funny substances to realize there was almost two hundred euros worth of hardware (two gaskets) in it :D

They are offering to make one-off gaskets from DXF files, so I guess I'll order a gasket for my hacked VICS too.

Comment

Alright, today I went shopping and bought this:

3" ports, a proper water/air 120x120x280mm core and decent construction, at 249 euros I think it was a good purchase, I'm just going to test it for leaks and then figure out how to fit it in the car...

Here's the shot of the core:

The water passages are much smaller than air passages, which is good.

There were many reasons to choose air-to-water setup, some more pressing than other. Firstly, I want to move the actual radiator in front of the radiator frame, so there would be very little space for the air/air unit. I also didn't want to block the radiator with the air cooler, and I don't need to run the plumbing through the frame. The intake temperature can also be better controlled (a big deal in the winter), the cooler has less pressure drop and the plumbing is simpler (though the overall complexity is higher).

The engine itself is slowly coming together, here's the situation today (29th of June):

I still need to finish the intake and start working on the exhaust manifold and brackets, but now the internals are no longer exposed. Somewhat of a milestone.

Comment

leave the gears open
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Alright, I purchased a set of studs for the exhaust flange. I originally planned to make a set of asymmetric 10x1.25 + 10x1.5 mm studs, however I discovered a source for good 10x1.5 exhaust studs and flange nuts at a cost about the same as a single DOHC exhaust nut, I decided to drop that idea and get factory made studs instead.

I took the oil pan off, there was a snapped bolt in one of the threaded holes (Cast sump has integral transmission supports) which was impossible to get out; finally I bored the body of the bolt off, and now the threads (or what's left of them) are visible on the old threads; And still, even when they're little more than steel wire on the thread, they STILL refuse to come out. One must wonder how the heck can aluminium and steel fuse so tightly together.

Comment

3sgte exhaust studs???
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Originally I really did plan for the 3SGTE studs, but then I decided to helicoil threads (Stripped two threads in the old engine) and ended up with 10x1.5 threads while the Toyotas were 10x1.25, same as the Mazda... So I had to source some BMW studs (another colorful patch on the 'spot the source'-quilt!)

The 3SGTE studs make a killer replacement for the original studs, I fully recommend getting those! While I was left with an unused set for now, I am planning to use them in another engine, far less ambitious than this one. I'm going to update my wagon into full luxury DD/cruiser and stuff like filled block and forged pistons aren't the best options for such application.

This engine, on the other hand, is going into a rebuilt Hatch (touring sedan), which is going to converted into an AWD (I've got the donor car already bought and disassembled) and some drastic actions are taken to reinforce the gearbox. I know what people are saying about the Mazda AWD box in high power applications, but I think I have a few more tricks up my sleeve not yet tried with it.

Comment

im planning to grab some 3sgte studs for my setup.... i'll start with whatever ones came out & work from there

Comment

i still get all mine at the local hardware store. they have never not had them in stock. and at $2 a piece for being in stock and local. i dig them. plus there hardened, and ive never had one fail. PILE_OF_RD1 didnt believe me yesterday, and even found a set in town when i told him.
                  ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                  ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                  What are you driving?

Comment

3SGTE studs have external torx heads, which is nice... stud extractor is difficult to manage around the cyl #4

Comment

Pat just normal hardware studs from per say ACE?

Comment

Yup. Do it best hardware, or bobs hardware is where i always get them. And for removal, i never used a stud extractor. I just use two nuts. 1 to lock into the other. Then u just remove it with a wrench.
                        ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                        ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                        What are you driving?

Comment

any updates recently???

Im pulling my FE3 back out next week to start physically prepping it for the H transmission/ Future toyota AWD system

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
                            toyota AWD system
                            GL with that one... Darryl was saying it won't work without the engine sitting at a silly 45* angle.

1993 Mazda Familia GTR - work log

Comment

darryl isn't the only one who's looked into it ya know

but lets not clutter STW's thread......... take it to mine

Comment

Well, at least someone's being active here :D I've been enjoying the exceptionally warm summer at the countryside (It's been the hottest summer of the recorded history in Finland)

Soon the summer is turning to fall, and so it's time to get serious with the build, especially as I'm re-employed again The next step is going to be the exhaust manifold and a bunch of brackets. The sump needs fixing, and I really, REALLY have to get on with the journal brace thingy. I really distress over using stock bolts in the bottom end when everything else has been upgraded and uprated to ridiculous degree.

Dry sump is really beginning to tempt me, especially as the AWD front subframe seems to be about 2cm deeper (engine closer to ground). It's enough to make a more shallow sump quite an attractive choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X