No announcement yet.

FE DOHC 2.2 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh wow, it's been two years since I last posted on this thread... ah well. I need to start juggling the schedule between building the car and finishing the engine... anyway, I finally received the turbo, so here's the shots of the both compressor stages:

It's been way way too long, but the engine build is at last on it's final stretch!

The injectors will be Bosch EV14, 2200cc. I dropped the idea for staged injection, too many hassles vs benefits. I'm still thinking about which ignition system to adopt. Plasma ignition sounds interesting, I need to study it a bit to see if it's hogwash or a real deal. Winter starting on E85 is going to need a big spark, for one.

Comment

very interested to follow what you do learn about the plasma ignition. its been awhile since i checked into it myself.
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Plasma systems seem quite expensive, and I'm not totally sold on their superiority just yet. It's somewhat difficult to obtain useful information, as many articles about plasma plugs are variations of the HHO bull. The good thing is they're a direct replacement for more traditional systems, so I can just use regular COP/wasted spark ignition and upgrade later if they prove viable.

Comment

Okay, here's what's up. I finally got a proper job, one that's steady and pays well. Since this engine won't be going into the Hatch, or the Wagon, a new solution has to be found. After considering getting an AWD or RWD an opportunity emerged which I took. Agreed, it's not either of those, it's a FWD car, but it complements the set well. It's the Coupe.

That's my baby! It's a 1988 Coupe in *very* good condition, GT DOHC, no cat, no 4WS, no AAS, no rust. It has under 200k km on it, and I'm the fourth owner. The engine is in great condition but that'll have to go; I'll make a new turbo engine for the Wagon out of it eventually.

Now, It's not the immediate project; first I need to get the AWD running. Because it's not going to be as insane as I thought I'll manage with less reinforcing modifications, and hopefully I'll get it done in not too long a time. Then the Wagon needs restoring, the floor pan has extensive rust damage, overall it's a much lesser job.

The Coupe will get the 2.2-16T+SC engine. The stock gearbox would be history If tried to use that, but fortunately there is quite an elegant solution. The turbodiesel Mazda 3 and 6 use RF-sourced block, which means identical bolt pattern with FE block. The gearbox used in 2010+ models is th A26M-R, also known as Aisin BG-6, a high torque 6-speed gearbox. The factory stated max torque is 400Nm (300ft lbs) and it's gearing is still useable with the gas engine, though it's pretty much a 4-speed box in regular driving. The theoretical top speed at stock red line is 400 km/h! There's also a Quaife ATB diff available, and not at extremely terrible price either. I think I'll need custom shafts, but with all the custom work already gone into the build, it's just another routine task. Hopefully I'll get to it soon.

Comment

Isn't the diesel 6spd trans the same one neville is/was using??
            if so you might seek some handy advice from him- his setup turned out well.

that list shows that several different cars are using the bg-6 box. which might help for gear interchangeability.
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Sorry, forgot to reply! Yeah, Neville used the same box, shame I was so focused on gettin the AWD sorted out I didn't ask him more about the install. He hasn't been online for some time now.

I ordered mine from eBay, paid 320€ for it (about 430USD at the time). I'm a bit anxious if it's a wreck, but at that price the risk is worth taking. "Big" doesn't even begin to describe the thing. It's *huge*. I weighed it, it's 68kg (150lbs). The original G5M (G stands for Glass) isn't too hard to pick up with one hand, this however...

I'll see how the gearing works with my engine. The original GT (16v) transmission was so short it was bothersome with the turbo. I wished I had a taller final drive, but since the secondary shaft is shot-peened and heat treated for higher toughness in the wagon gearbox (Isn't that nice, yet another Mazda gearbox variety with ZERO external recognition feature), I didn't want to swap. So, now I'm at the other end of the spectrum. The ratios with the diesel are quite tall, but not terribly far apart, and if the engine is anything I predict the gearbox should work pretty well. Disel has an open diff; Quaife has an ATB differential for the A26M (this one, but it's quite expensive as it would cost almost a thousand euros.

Another nifty feature of the A26M-R is it's seemingly only a few milling passes away from being an A26MX-R There's no center diff in the AWD version, the speed difference is handled by a haldex clutch (which I don't like much, but what do you do...) And then there's this nasty FTSA bureaucracy making sure I never needed to find out about it.

Comment

id be interested to see the differences between the A26M & the X version.

$430USD isn't too bad for a newer trans tho. get some pictures up when you can!!

Comment

This, as far as I've understood, is the *only* internal difference between A26M and A26MX; The extra internal splines in the diff. The hollow shaft for the transfer unit (right angle drive) is driven by those. The bearing might also be larger in the AWD, but haven't seen the part numbers on those. (Edit: there is only one number for the gear-opposite end bearing press SST, which would indicate the size is the same. Or that the tool is multipurpose.) The other differences are the larger oil seal to accommodate the hollow shaft, mounting points for the transfer unit and, obviously, the transfer unit itself (d'uh!). My dad has an AWD CX-7 so I should have a handy reference, but the gearbox is *well* hidden. I'd need a boroscope to see the diff without lifting the car or disassembling a lot off top of the engine bay.
                  Last edited by STW; 01-17-2014, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Ffffffuuuuuuu *rage*

Realized something. MZR-CD has a 240mm clutch. Meaning my very expensive custom G5M-sized (225mm) 8-bolt aluminum flywheel WILL NOT FIT. TO ANY OF MY ENGINES.

Not without further modifications anyway, which will not be easy or cheap to make.

Comment

Got some photos. Sorry about the dodgy quality, I didn't have my proper camera with me. Not really surprisingly, the A26M is slightly shorter than G5M (twin vs triple shaft tend to do that), but other than that, they're worlds apart. I remembered correctly, G5M is not too difficult to lift with one hand, which puts is well below 20kg mark.

Comment

G5M= just shy of 35kg I forgot what the H box is. but still... 150lb transmission- thats heavy! reminds me of an automatic gearbox
                        subbin to see the results that comes from this!!

Comment

From the data I got from teh internetz (I can't believe Workshop Manual no longer state gear ratios) I did a graph of rpm vs speed vs gear graph:

It's a tall gearing, but if the supercharger works at all as it should be quite usable. There should be plenty of power from 2000RPM on. I don't actually plan to run the engine to 7k RPM too often, but it's a good top figure for this application. And it's a good indication 300km/h should be attainable if the engine delivers it's full potential.

Comment

do you have "gearcalc"?? itsa pretty handy calculator for gear ratios & all things related. if you don't message me & i'll get a copy emailed to you

Comment

I have the one from Locost7. There's a slight snag with A26M and the software, though. The two secondary shafts have different final gear ratios, and while you could recalculate the gear ratios to compensate, you could just as well do your own spreadsheet :D

I once did a bit more onvolved gear-related spreadsheet while studying for BsE/Mech. It calculated the tentative power capacity and hobbing parameters for gears in a gearset. The assignment was for a single-speed reduction gear, I did a 6-speed gearbox...

Comment

looking back on my post.... i should know better

Comment

Working...
                                X