Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazda 323 GTX BPT with CX7 turbo

Hi guys
    You think a turbo from the CX7 is too big for the BPT engine even if you increase the compression to 9?

Not at all, probably spool up pretty quick

Comment

Thanks mate
      I thought it might be big for the BPT engine
      Thanks

Comment

The CX7 turbo is a K03, smaller than the MS3/6 K04. So the CX7 turbo is certainly on the small side and should max out just north of 250whp. 15-17psi is the sweet spot. Be careful though, it seems the seals don't hold up well and you may end up with smoke in the exhaust (although the oil pressure on the CX7 is likely higher than our older engines).

Comment

still a tiny turbo, run it!!!!!!!!!!!
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by Lex View Post
            The CX7 turbo is a K03, smaller than the MS3/6 K04. So the CX7 turbo is certainly on the small side and should max out just north of 250whp. 15-17psi is the sweet spot. Be careful though, it seems the seals don't hold up well and you may end up with smoke in the exhaust (although the oil pressure on the CX7 is likely higher than our older engines).
            Are you sure its K03? because mine it says k04...
            I got it as a turbo from a CX7 from ebay...
            Is it possible to be from an mps 3 or 6?

Comment

I have a CX7 turbo as well in my parts bin and it says K04.
              The CX turbos are smaller and spool quicker than MS3.
              Will it work?
              There only one way to find out
              Powered by ACME

Comment

Originally posted by jnin View Post
                Hi guys
                You think a turbo from the CX7 is too big for the BPT engine even if you increase the compression to 9?
                The way you asked about the gt4 gearbox sounded like you knew what turbo you were gonna run and that it was big. If you think that cx7 turbo is big then your in a small league. People start busting trannys here at the 250+ whp league. Adding a lsd is key but still wont help because you'll make more power than the g series will handle. Thats when people switch to the gt4 gearbox. I've heard that people have been running 700whp on stock gt4 trannys. So to think that our lighter cars and your cx7 turbo will bust a gt4 box is stupid.
                Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                "Who Dey"

Comment

Interesting that its K04. It is however smaller than the MS3 and the MS3 tops out at 320whp (and around 340-360wtq) with the turbo. So expect below 300 with the CX-7. Seems like a good match.

Comment

FYI:

UK-Spec CX-7's feature the same, larger KO4 turbocharger and transmission found in the Mazdaspeed line.

So only north american CX-7s come with the smaller K04 turbos.

Comment

Originally posted by bomdoutscort View Post
                      The way you asked about the gt4 gearbox sounded like you knew what turbo you were gonna run and that it was big. If you think that cx7 turbo is big then your in a small league. People start busting trannys here at the 250+ whp league. Adding a lsd is key but still wont help because you'll make more power than the g series will handle. Thats when people switch to the gt4 gearbox. I've heard that people have been running 700whp on stock gt4 trannys. So to think that our lighter cars and your cx7 turbo will bust a gt4 box is stupid.
                      Mate I am just asking to see what options I have. I never said that the car with turbo from CX7 will bust the gt4 gearbox

Comment

Originally posted by jnin View Post
                        Mate I am just asking to see what options I have. I never said that the car with turbo from CX7 will bust the gt4 gearbox
                        I understand that.
                        Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                        "Who Dey"

Comment

Sorry to interrupt, but I keep seeing 'K03' and 'K04' thrown around in this discussion. Are these the same turbos that VW/Audi used on their old cars?
                          1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

^wondering the same thing
                            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
                              ^wondering the same thing
                              Yes and no. Borg Warner is the company that makes the K0X turbos and they are used by many different manufacturers in different trims and for different applications.

VW has used BW turbos extensively, now Mazda has used them on the DISI, and the Cobalt SS Turbocharged also use a K04 (twin scroll in this case) on its 2.0 direct injected engine.

So BW specializes in building turbos for OEMs for the particular engine application at hand. Unfortunately it seems the K04s used in the Mazdaspeeds are ... well ... kinda ****ty and blow seals (at least on that motor). But there is more than meets the eye there and that is a long discussion.

Comment

Working...
                              X