This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal 323 window-trim pillars

Looking to produce sets of pillars at ~$300/set made from AL mould & available anodized or polished.

Interested & what forum are you from(if not commonly a CP member):

FE3-323
    Kris
    $75
    73.33%
    $100
    13.33%
    $150
    6.67%
    $200
    6.67%
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

very intrested.

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

not sure if im digging metal, sounds like the new issue would be bending, and yes im cheap
      "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
      -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
      *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
      172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
      New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

you're talking about a pillars correct? imo people would be crazy to be spending more than $100 if that PER side as the polls suggests....

mayb that total for the pair if that's the case
        1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
        Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
        "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Shawn, curious but how do you forsee them bending in any shape/form? the benifits to this would be strength to not break like the plastic pieces do & resistance to fading/embrittlement.
          Id like to see them made in Al personally
          Jason- the price is just up there for ideas on what someone would consider paying, has nothing reflecting what an actual cost might be. its a GI thread for a reason. Im not here to make money on these either when they do get made. im just trying to solve a model specific issue for everyone i've replaced mine once already & lost them both again. im tired of poor solutions simply put its about time someone does something to fix it.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

metal does indeed bend

i guess my thoughts are it would be a single layer stamped piece. which seems like it would bend easily.
            -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.

Comment

wouldn't it be easier to make some out of fiberglass?
              93 323, 94 MX-3, 04 MSM, 83 Jeep Cherokee, 87 b2000
              www.gunshowracing.com

Comment

So... now i'm curious. As i've only owned 1 323, and the pillar came busted on the top.
                With what Shawn said is true. The single layer will definitely bend. I don't see something like that becoming an actual problem though, as likely once it's installed, it's not coming off and has the strength of being mounted to support it's 'weak points'. More/less i would call it flex instead of bend. (don't see permanent bends coming from it once installed)
                • What is it that breaks on the pillar covers? (mounting points? the physical piece itself?)
                • What are some reasons they break? (age? occupants using it as an assist to entering/exiting the car? extreme flex to the pillars from extreme driving conditions?)
                1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
                Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
                "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

age & sun damage to the plastic usually are the causes of destruction. the clips do break behind the plastic as well & they will then occasionaly fly off
                  other then that DUMB passengers pulling on them to lift out of the car.

when designed in aluminum it would not be a thin layer to bend. & the plastic retainer clips would likely break far before the metal itself in the event of stupid people
                  AL can be anodized or painted so there are plus's to that

Comment

screw it, im in.

when do we start
                    -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by MD323 View Post
                      screw it, im in.

when do we start
                      need someone to design it first.

ryan...if you can send me a decent busted up piece then i'll bring it to my instructor and see what we can do about modeling it up. hes got connections to so maybe we can find a place to run a stamping of a few hundred??

let me know what ya think. i'll be glad to help out in this situation if at all possible.

-jamie
                      92 Pro - Daily Beater and project- current frankenstein
                      sigpic

Comment

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by dustinlib View Post
                          wouldn't it be easier to make some out of fiberglass?
                          that would be a lot of work doing several fiberglass molds.
                          92 Pro - Daily Beater and project- current frankenstein
                          sigpic

Comment

My car never had A-pillar covers, but it sure would be nice!

The only ones I've ever seen broken were the ones where somebody didn't realize how to remove them, so they ended ub being broken where the upper screw goes in to hold them. If I'm not mistaken, both of those little parts are the only part actually still there in my case.

I think an acceptable fix may be to make the part held down in the screw holes that hold the plastic squares that hold the metal clips. then have an insert of some sort, the length of the pillar, to cover those holes..

--sarge

Comment

I need some metal ones. I'm tired of the plastic ****s blowing off at 140mph
                              I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                              |.....Overnight....................| ||
                              |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                              |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                              "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                              Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Working...
                              X