2003 mazda protege transmission Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 mazda protege transmission Conversion

Hi I have a 2003 Mazda protege with the 1.6L motor mated to the 4-speed automatic. I want to do a 5-speed manual conversion however I am curious as to how difficult it is? Anybody know of any barriers I might face such as cutting into the firewall and problems when replacing the ecu? I searched through the forums however no similar swaps were done so could somebody help me out?

Also the reason im doing the swap is the transmission lags between gears and before I go rebuilding the transmission I really would rather do the conversion to a 5-speed.
    Last edited by mazdaprotege1.6; 03-21-2010, 01:14 AM. Reason: question was not clear enough

check http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/

alot of good info about it there. Most will tell you to sell the car and but one that manual to save time.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

ye I know, I understand that it makes sense to do that, but owned this car since new and to rebuild the auto transmission I cant do that myself and I have been quoted about 1200$(including labor) which is quite a lot. So since i would do the transmission swap myself i don't pay for labor it comes out to about even , i found a transmission and ecu for 650, all the miscellaneous parts like clutch pedal and a performance clutch kit in the car come out to about 150$ more. I am more trying to find out if anybody encountered any problems because I don't want to do it then it be a failure.

Thanks for the site

Comment

Working...
      X