Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome project worklog, 5 stars for the pictures and step by step explanation.

Threads like this one are invaluable.

Comment

nice to see a nother awd pro.
      5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

Dilbert is my co-pilot.

As it turns out, I can't put the rear motor mount bolt in with the cross member in place. I already pulled all that sub-frame material out and am ready to do the dirty. Harness is in, mounts are all in place, half shaft is on. Everything looks hot, straight, and normal.

Edit-Getting the cross member back in is turning out to be a bit of a challenge. I have to take a family brake right now but hope to get back at it in an hour or so.

It looks like the speedo cable end I grabed from the Pro at the j/y is too short. I guess I need a speedo cable for a 4WD tranny. I'll take a closer look at it as soon as I get the motor mounts all secure and get the stuff back on that I had to mover for the install. So far so good.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 1st Gen; 09-02-2010, 06:04 PM.
        1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
        1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
        2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
        1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

you should be able to lift the engine from the back hook only to tilt it enough to get it in. or try putting a jack under the front of the engine to tilt it backwards a bit
          -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
          VF10 powered!
          262 Whp & 257 Wtq
          13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

As it turned out, when I stopped trying to get the rear bolts aligned and worked on the front mount, the rear bolts for the motor mount popped right in the holes. When the engine popped, I was like "Nooooo, YEAAAA!" Lol,

I'm all in. I just need to tighten it all down.
            The white motor mounts came with the car. I'm using them because they were filled but I'm wishing now that I had painted them black. I might still since they're the easy ones to get to.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 1st Gen; 09-03-2010, 01:03 AM.

Comment

that looks just.... .... .... so right. :'(
              1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
              Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
              "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

the dirty bay makes your clean engine stand out lol..its w.e though as long as it runs that wont matter...nice pro i like it
                323 log-http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44611

Comment

Why not throw in a set of AWR mounts since you're already working in the bay Jon?
                  Last edited by Henchman; 09-03-2010, 01:30 AM. Reason: I fail at spelling.
                  1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Henchman View Post
                    Why not throw in a set of AWR mounts since you're already working in the bay Jon?
                    Frankly I didn't think of it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I like the looks of them for sure but as far as I can tell, only one of the pair will fit. The one that fits on the rear of the 4WD tranny is different than a FWD. That was the 323 mounts I was looking at anyway and I didn't see any reference to 4WD.

It's funny that I didn't take a pic of that rear motor mount. I've got multiples of all the others but only one of that one. Oh well I guess.
                    Last edited by 1st Gen; 09-03-2010, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by worldhazard View Post
                      that looks just.... .... .... so right. :'(
                      I've owned this thing for a year and 15 days and am just now getting an engine into it. I'm not even close to being on the road yet.
                      (I'm a lot closer now than I was though)

Comment

Originally posted by 1st Gen View Post
                        Frankly I didn't think of it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I like the looks of them for sure but as far as I can tell, only one of the pair will fit. The one that fits on the rear of the 4WD tranny is different than a FWD. That was the 323 mounts I was looking at anyway and I didn't see any reference to 4WD.

It's funny that I didn't take a pic of that rear motor mount. I've got multiples of all the others but only one of that one. Oh well I guess.
                        If you can get someone to send him a rear for the 4wd, he might be able to make one up, I'm in the middle of getting the prototypes worked out for my car (as well as other BHA/BA chassis cars).
                        1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

dangit. that turbo just looks too good sitting in there. I'm going to have to do that before ice trials start this winter. Hello, STi-Killer!!

Comment

I remember a while back another member put a BPT in a 4WD and said the same thing. STI Killar!

A week after driving it he was commenting about how heavy the car is and not much more was said about it. I don't know what happened to the car after that.

Comment

heavy??? naaah!

Last winter, I drove the blue car in ice trials with the stock B8 SOHC, on bolted tires. At one event, I actually took FTD! (it was a night event, I had awesome lights, and the ~600whp sti didn't show up. But I did it!)

Now, If I exchange that 103hp (at the crank when new) motor with a BP DOHC turbo motor (173.3fwhp on the dyno, in my wagon), I'm only gonna weigh maybe another 30 lbs max, including turbo/exhaust/intercooler/piping. Now translate that over to the fully gutted (subtract ~300 lbs) protege that I got from Craig in Montana. Then add in a slight turbo upgrade, and a mazdaspeed motorsports clutch-type rear LSD....

maybe not sti "killer". I could settle with "obliterator" or "decimator" or even just "maker of mincemeat"...

Comment

Originally posted by SgtRauksauff View Post
                                heavy??? naaah!

Last winter, I drove the blue car in ice trials with the stock B8 SOHC, on bolted tires. At one event, I actually took FTD! (it was a night event, I had awesome lights, and the ~600whp sti didn't show up. But I did it!)

Now, If I exchange that 103hp (at the crank when new) motor with a BP DOHC turbo motor (173.3fwhp on the dyno, in my wagon), I'm only gonna weigh maybe another 30 lbs max, including turbo/exhaust/intercooler/piping. Now translate that over to the fully gutted (subtract ~300 lbs) protege that I got from Craig in Montana. Then add in a slight turbo upgrade, and a mazdaspeed motorsports clutch-type rear LSD....

maybe not sti "killer". I could settle with "obliterator" or "decimator" or even just "maker of mincemeat"...
                                Awesome!! I'm really glad to see you taking the Protege in the direction I wanted to go. A little sad for me, a lot of glad for you!

Regards,
                                Joel
                                1988 323 GTX - Heavily modified

DJT Motorsports (Oak Park, MI) - like no other

Comment

Working...
                                X