• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice call ace
    Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
    "Who Dey"

Comment

Ran into a snag today. I'm finding that the BP harness that I thought was going to be PnP is not. More as it unfolds.
      I have the B8 harness that came with the car as well so will put the 4 wire TPS on that and see if I can get a bit farther.
      Last edited by 1st Gen; 09-24-2010, 05:50 PM.
      1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
      1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
      2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
      1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

How not PnP? What sort of wiring issue're you running into? Fuel pump control unit/fuel level sending unit? something else?

--sarge

Comment

It's the plug for the injectors. On the engine is 6 wire and on the plug it's 8.
          The reverse/4WD lock plug is missing.
          I think there another difference too but can't remember right now.

The other harness has the correct plugs previously mentioned. I have an extra 4 wire TPS that I'll install on it and then I'll see if that works. I'll have to rewire the 10 pin white plug in the cabin but that shouldn't be too hard. The only one I'll have to solder is the TPS. I robbed the VAF plug from that harness as well but I depinned it and the cabin plug so that shouldn't be too big of a problem.

That injector is a surprise though, and I guess I should have seen the 4WD lock plug. It's all good. I just need some quiet time to get it all worked out.

Edited
          Last edited by 1st Gen; 09-25-2010, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Ran into another snag. Both axles I got with the car aren't even close to what I need. I've been sitting on them for a year but hadn't checked for fitment. Today is a dark day.
            On the bright side, they're both brand new.

I did get the new front brake lines in yesterday so that's a plus. I've resolved that I'm not going to get it running before the weather changes so plan B is to tow it from the back yard and some how push it up the driveway into the garage. A buddy suggested I put a tire between the bumper on my pick up and the Pro bumper. I've also thought about removing the rear bumper on the Pro and try to fashion some type of make shift bumper just for pushing it. Either way, I really don't want to move it without the axles in. I'll probably give this a week to settle on my brain before I actually go and buy them.
            Last edited by 1st Gen; 09-28-2010, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Made some good progress today.
              Got Protege LX BP harness out of the car again
              Got the chassis plug installed on the B8 harness.

Almost got the VAF plug completely soldered. I snagged one off a SOHC a while back so I'm a little concerned that the wires are a smaller gauge. It has all 7 wires though, as apposed to the BP 26 VAF plug I have that only has 5.

Once I have the VAF plug done, all that's left is the 4 wire TPS conversion. Luckily, I have an extra one of those too so I won't have to do any cutting off the other harness. (I wonder if I can depin that plug?)

I'm starting to think my soldering gun is getting tired. This whole process of soldering seems way more difficult than I think it should be. I'm going to see about getting a new tip to see if that helps the gun heat up faster. The reason I'm having to do all this soldering again is because I robbed from this harness so I could make the other one work. (Yea, stop fretting about it and just get it done.)

The B8 that came with this car seems to be more compatible than the BP harness. Chassis plugs and tranny plugs are wire for wire pretty much, as well as that injector plug. It's just the TPS that's different.

Note to me, this BP harness is all ready to go pretty much. I need two plugs from inside the cabin so I'm going to keep an eye on the j/k for that. I don't know what to do about the 8 wire injector plug either. The rest is done.
              Last edited by 1st Gen; 10-04-2010, 12:52 AM.

Comment

8-wire injector plug.. is that just the 2 extra wires for VICS that are on the BP and not the B8?

Comment

You should be able to use the B8 4wd wiring harness as is, just add 2 wires for the vics if using the BP manifold and 1 wire for the 4 wire TPS, you can reuse the other 3 wires. There is no need to change the whole wiring when swaping a BP in. Just make sure you use the B8 injector harness.

Comment

the 2 extra wires on the plug are VICS and one of the temperature sensors

if you have the FSM wiring diagrams, converting the B8 4WD harness will be miles easier than the other way around

EDIT also dont forget about the 4th wire for the disty which may or may not be there
                    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Okay, got some more work done.

Got the B8 harness done and back in the car. It's not hooked up but it looks good.

Got the fuel filter in and the lines all hooked up. This was strangely hard so I got to looking at my FWD BG and found that the hard line coming from the tank comes out at a different place which put the line in a kink. Luckily, I had some extra fuel line so was able to straighten out the turns a bit with a longer hose.

I think I'll try to get out there again tonight and do some work in the cabin. There's lots to do but it all starts with a good vacuuming.

The vacuum hose for the brakes that comes from the intake is just too loose for my taste. I need to replace it with new.

Also got the front hedges trimmed, the trees hanging over the house trimmed, gutters cleaned, front yard mowed, and made a trip to the dump. The air filter popped off the mower just when I was in a dirty area and the mower stopped working. I think carb got gummed up with dirt so I need to pull that off and clean it. Hassle! I suppose I should be glad it works at all considering the way I treat it.
                      Last edited by 1st Gen; 10-06-2010, 09:43 PM.

Comment

When I did my engine swap I just used a engine harness from a protege lx and it worked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Justbp-me View Post
                          When I did my engine swap I just used a engine harness from a protege lx and it worked fine.
                          What did you do about the transmission plug and the injector plug?

I thought I was having some compatibility issues with manual seat belts but it turns out that the latches on the MX3 seats are gummed up and don't work. I think I'm going to pull them off and soak them in a solution simple green in a crock pot. If they can get clean, they should. I wonder if I can pull one apart and to maintain it that way? Not too important right now.

Comment

What does this plug go to? ABS? I don't have ABS.
                            Weird this harness has a plug for ABS since both car and harness are 1990.

I'll just leave it I guess.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 1st Gen; 10-12-2010, 01:00 AM.

Comment

my 94 Familia GTX had ABS.

but, I only vaguely remember a plug like that. I want to say either an automatic transmission, or the connector to the fuel injector harness. or if it's part of the 4WD harness, maybe the diff lock motor? I thought it was shaped differently though.

--sarge

Comment

It's where an ABS plug would be, right by the brake fluid reservoir.

Comment

Working...
                                X