This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got around today and
    hooked up most of the rest of the harness, starter, alternator, ground wires. There's still a few plugs left but I think I'm just going to ignore them until they go away, or until I figure out where they go.
    Installed new heater hoses.
    Installed new axles and discovered just how foobar the LF wheel bearing is.
    Modded the subframe for the SMIC and checked for fitment
    Made another list for parts house run.
    I wish I could have gotten more done today but life keeps getting in the way.
    Discovered I'm missing a sensor something or other that goes by the VAF.

Edit-I have one of these coming from a forum member but I also came across a Wastegate Solenoid Valve thread.

The extra diagram pics are an edit too. Hope they're readable.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 1st Gen; 10-28-2010, 04:13 PM.
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

What are you missing? The wastegate actuator in the pic?
      1990 Protege 4WD
      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
      ├┼┤
      2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Yup, I guess that would be it. I have yet to look it up in the manual but that is a picture of it.

Edit-the manual says it's the air bypass valve.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 1st Gen; 10-12-2010, 10:56 PM.

Comment

So the thing in the pic is what you don't have?
          1990 Protege 4WD
          GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
          ├┼┤
          2 4 R

Comment

Correct.
            I'm going to replace the other front wheel bearing too. It's just too loose and ugly.

Comment

Okay.

It's a wastegate solenoid.
              Attached Files
              1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
              ├┼┤
              2 4 R

Comment

Okay,
                front wheel bearings are new
                front lower ball joints are new
                tie rod ends are new
                front brake lines are new
                new rotors and calipers too
                axles are new, er rebuilt

It's almost all installed. I got corralled into a bit of baby sitting tonight so progress is going to get real slow for a while.

Also bought a bunch of stuff for down the road. All I need is time.

Edit-Ready for
                engine oil
                trans oil
                power steering fluid
                brake fluid
                gauge cluster
                fuel pump

I have to mount the SMIC next. I have some raw stock material for this so expect a bit of work. No biggy.
                Last edited by 1st Gen; 10-14-2010, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Is it a stock SMIC? Mine installed without mods.
                  1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                  ├┼┤
                  2 4 R

Comment

Yea it's the one that came with this motor OEM. When I did my LX Protege, I had to drill and thread some holes and that was it. I had more of the mounting brackets though. In this case, I'll have to fab up something for the SMIC brackets to attach too. This would be a snap if I could weld it but since I don't own a welder, I bought some different sizes of sheet metal bolts.

I've got to figure out something with the battery too. The box I have from a 323 doesn't sit level so I think it's not the proper shape. I think I'm going to look through all the plastic stuff I have stuffed in the trunk before I go too much further on it. I might be able to fix it with a piece of wood but I don't really want to go that route.

Comment

Why not rear mount the battery?
                      -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                      VF10 powered!
                      262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                      13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Well, as far as I can tell, the benefits of a rear mounted battery are mostly cosmetic and carry some significant unwanted side effects. First off, there is the trouble involved in doing the work. That's not a problem really if I have the time but I am on a bit of a schedule. Second, I would be worried about a drop in voltage. I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with this but it is a concern.

Got the SMIC mounted today. I just used some bracket material I had lying around and it worked great. It's solid as can be.

The engine bay doesn't look very clean which kind of bothers me but I don't plan on winning ROTM with this car either. I might try and tidy it up a bit later when I have most of the harder stuff behind me.

I think I'm missing a plug still and some of the ones I do have are broken so I'm not over the harness hurdle yet. I did put the ECU back in and have that all plugged in. It's coming along.

It's going to start raining tonight so I have garbage bags over all the rotors. I sure like the looks of all that new hardware in there. Yea, new bearings too.

I have another transmission mount that I got form a 323 I might look at. It's a four hole mount where this is only three but if it fits, I might use it. I think that will fix my battery box problem, as well as freshen up that tranny mount. It sure looks old huh?

I have the running gear all together so I can tow it out of the back yard at any time. If it looks like I can't go any farther outside, that's what I'll do.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by 1st Gen; 10-14-2010, 07:22 PM.

Comment

A lot of people rear mount the battery to allow more room for piping and other stuff. But if your going to be running a 100% stock gtx setup I wouldn't worry about it. But if you do, just get a good 2awg cable and run it back, bolt down a battery box and be done. lol
                          -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                          VF10 powered!
                          262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                          13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

whats the story behind SMIC VS a FMIC in this scenario?
                            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

The SMIC came up for sale at a good price. I'm pretty sure that if I find it to be inadequate to my needs, I'll be able to recoup my investment when I decide to upgrade.

I absolutely hate when I see some of the best builds ever sold for pennies on the dollar because nobody wants, or can afford the special application parts. I'm staying as broad as possible for now.

I know, a FMIC is cheap and easy so I should comment that the convenience of it played a big part.

Comment

fair enough
                                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                                X