This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What have you Done to Your BK Today?

Yesterday, I vacuumed my wife's 3's engine compartment; it was full of grime and road dust. No more! As I inspected the fluid levels, I noticed that the PS fluid (ATF) was a trace low. I'll have to buy some and top up.

I also noticed that the right side stiffener plate on the top of the shock tower had a rusty, corroded area on its surface. The left side stiffener plate surface was unblemished.

Then I noticed that the weatherstrip on the cowl grill at the rear of the engine compartment had come loose from its mounting surface, for about 2" at each end. It appeared to me that when the hood was closed the unfixed end of the weatherstrip may have rolled out of position due to the hood closing on it and allowed water to contact the stiffener, at least on the right side.

I soon saw that this was a job for my trusty Permatex BLACK SILICONE Adhesive Sealant (part #16B), available at Pep Boys. I squeezed out a line of adhesive at the two ends of the cowl grill channel on which sits the weatherstrip, and following the directions, placed a heavy steel weight on each end of the weatherstripping to clamp the two surfaces together for 30 minutes. I then removed the weights, saw that bonding had occurred, and closed the hood. Full cure and maximum strength occurs in about 24 hours. Time will tell if that resolves the problem. The good news is that the damage appears to be only cosmetic, not structural. Of course, without actually magnafluxing the part in question, that statement must remain nothing more than an assumption.

When I told my wife what I had just done, she said, "That's nice but it's too bad you didn't vacuum the inside of the car, too."

Sometimes I don't think my wife realizes what a treasure I am.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Haha they'll never understand that it's much better that us guys would rather make sure it runs without a hitch than clean their mess inside. Oh well!
    '12 Ford Focus SEL

Comment

What did I do to someone elses BK today

2010 6speed tranny 35000km on it.
      Customer complaint is difficult to shift into gear.
      Mazda says go ahead and check inside the case (oh brother).
      Fine ....its slow today ,pulled his tranny and tore it down .
      Nothing to report LOL.
      Attached Files
      Powered by ACME

Comment

Installed Windshield Wiper Blades

My wife and I went to our local, friendly Mazda dealer today to pick up wiper blades for her 3. My wife came along to check out the 2011 model to see how it compared with her '06. While there, we also saw the 2. It's certainly a wee car compared with the 3 and the Protege.

According to the blade package, the wiping edge is composed of the highest quality available natural rubber, and is made in Mexico. Well, I wouldn't expect anything less from a product made to Mazda's specs. The package also contains pictorial instructions for removal of the old blade and installation of the new. Very nice for those of you who don't do this job very often and might need an occasional prompt.

Left, driver's side blade: Mazda part #BJOE-67-330-9U, US $18.72
        Right, passenger side blade: Mazda part #BJOF-67-330-9U, $16.39
        State theft: $2.46
        Total: US $37.57

We returned home and I removed the old blades and replaced them with the new ones in ~ 2 minutes. Another job well done by goldstar.

Happy Motoring!
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

haha very cool! can you get some pictures? im normally content with my rainx blades but if mazdas are of that high of quality i may go that route
          '12 Ford Focus SEL

Comment

Originally posted by Mazdaspd2008 View Post
            haha very cool! can you get some pictures? im normally content with my rainx blades but if mazdas are of that high of quality i may go that route
            Happy to oblige.

Note the finely-molded precision wiping edge. I've also had a chance to road test the blades and even under severe cornering stresses the blades maintain their full and firm contact with the windshield, leaving the glass virtually spotless even during heavy sleet. They seem impervious to the inertia forces that tend to lift lesser quality blades away from the glass.

I'm very satisfied with my purchase and I highly recommend these blades to any 3 owner in need of replacement.

Happy Motoring!
            Attached Files

Comment

well yesterday me an Mazdaspd2008 took off his stock inlet pipe and replaced it with a nice silicone Cobb one. We also removed the Greddy Boost controller, It was causing some issues along with the HKS SSQV. We replaced that with the stock Recirc vavle and a new Sure motorsports Recirculation tube that was again, silicone. He's going back to get it retuned after a couple weeks.
              here's some pics.

-Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
              VF10 powered!
              262 Whp & 257 Wtq
              13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Yeah note her lack of pictures of the actual install xD my bay looks a lot cleaner in those pics than in reality too, but that's what we did to my BK today! errr... yesterday

and thanks for the wiper pics! they look great... gonna run by mazda tomorrow anyway, ill see what theyre gonna run me since i have a rear to worry about too. sigh. lol
                '12 Ford Focus SEL

Comment

What's up y'all? I recently got my 3 this weekend, and traded in my 94 pro at the same time so I'll be checking in with you guys from time to time now. Still showing mazda love...
                  Chris
                  94 protege lx - gone and will be missed
                  2008 Mazda3 - recently acquired

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're Stupid."
                  -John Wayne
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2978373

Comment

Maintenance, Replacement and Repair, Summer 2011

Wow, a big one on my wife's '06 3.

First: Oil and Filter Change
                    4 qts 5W-20 Nectar of the Gods @ US $10.50/qt = $42 + $2.94 state theft
                    Mazda Oil Filter @ US $8.50 - 10% discount = $7.65 + $.54 state theft
                    Sealing washer NC
                    Total: US $53.13

Second: Replaced Rear Shock Absorbers
                    Checking around underneath the car I discovered that the two rear shocks were leaking. Since the 3's rear suspension does not use a coil over shock design, removal and replacement is fairly easy requiring only jackstands under the rear axles as no other components need be removed. When doing suspension work I always work with a friend of mine who has air tools and a garage but in this case with the low torque setting of the shock mounting bolts and no need for a spring compressor, I figured I could do the job myself on my driveway, and I was right. The only prep I did was some PB Blaster on the mounting bolts and everything went smoothly.

As my wife does not want a firmer suspension, I used OEM shocks. The part # is BRY0-28-910 and the cost was US $101/ea = $202 + $14.14 state theft.
                    Total: US $216.14

Third: New Wheel
                    As previously reported, a wheel got bent from hitting a hidden pothole and consequently needed replacement. Go to:

Although I found an OEM replacement wheel on ebay for US $90 I passed on it not knowing its condition. Since I wanted a guaranteed true wheel (after all it is my wife's car), I decided to buy new from Mazda. The list price was US $296.20 but because we bought the car here they dropped the price to $225. The bent wheel, for which I had to buy a new tire, will now be used as a spare.

Fourth: New Tires
                    Again, referring to the above reference, it was noted that all four tires were worn and needed replacement. So, back to Discount Tire Direct once again. We decided to again purchase the Falken Ziex ZE-912s as both my wife and I find them to be decent performers for an UHP All-Season type.
                    4 tires @ US $96/ea = $384 + Refund/replacement certificates @ $12/ea = $48 + chrome valve stems @ $3/ea = $12.
                    Total: US $444.

Mounting and road force balancing = US $186.30 + $13.04 state theft - $7 AAA discount.
                    Total: US $191.85

Grand Total
                    US $1130.12

Holy moley.

And I still have to buy brakes for my car.

It's a great life if you don't weaken.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

hey happy wife, happy life LOL can't argue with that logic!

glad the rear shocks went ok though, sounds like it wasn't too bad of a job compared to what our BG/BH/BJ can bring.
                      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

You're right, it sure smooths things over when the wife is kept happy. And yes, I was happily surprised to see how easy rear shock replacement was compared with my BJ.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Replaced Driver's Side Windshield Wiper

My wife's 3 needed a new windshield wiper. Since we were highly satisfied with the performance of the Mazda blade as detailed in posts #4 and 6 , I bought another OEM replacement. According to Mazda, the blade has a "steel constructed superstructure for strength and durability" and the "natural rubber wiping edge is the highest quality available." With all that going for it why would you want anything else? Exactly! Additionally, Mazda says it's "easy to install." And it certainly is since they even include installation instructions (in three languages, no less - English, French and Spanish). Mazda recommends the wiper blades be changed every 6-months and they thoughtfully include a date tab on which the month and year of purchase can be circled and can then be cut off from the instruction strip and placed in the glove compartment as a reminder. Now this is a company with lots of heart and real concern for their customers.

Part #BJOE-67-330-9U
                          Cost: US $19.53
                          State theft: $1.37
                          Total: US $20.90

Happy Motoring!

Comment

After hearing, or more accurately, reading, all your ranting and raving about the OEM Mazda wiped blades, I think I'll have to try them out.

I've tried almost every brand from the parts stores to see which I like best. Right now I have a set of Bosch blades which keep the glass fairly streak free, but on it's way down to the resting position, the driver's blade tends to left in the middle and leave a spot unwiped right in front of my eyes, very annoying.

I think I'm going to try the new Michelin blades next which use standard design contact arms and a solid frame (or however the commercial describes them) for the remainder of winter, then I'll get set of the Mazda blades.

Comment

Bought a FSM manual off ebay.
                              The car has developed a very nasty sound in the right front suspension when making tight turns. Nothing looks loose some I'm puzzling about what it could be and if it's dangerous. I have to admit that I'm not familiar with the techniques for testing different features of the suspension so this is going to be a bit like groping in the dark.
                              I do have a book on suspension.
                              Last edited by 1st Gen; 02-15-2012, 03:50 PM.
                              1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
                              1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
                              2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
                              1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Working...
                              X