transmission problems on 1999 Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transmission problems on 1999 Protege

My son's 1999 protege is having transmission problems. It seems to be stuck in one gear (2nd, it's an automatic). So the choices are park and D with one gear. Also, the "OD off" light is flashing on the dash panel no matter how you click on the OD button on the gear shift.

We brought the car back to my son's house but hesitant to take it to a transmission shop before getting a general idea what could be causing this.

I've heard rumors that this particular model Protege used a Ford transmission that was noted for problems but we've never had an issue with this car's transmission until this week when it started going in and out of gear at first, then it wouldn't go into park or reverse and now drive in 1 gear only.

Any ideas out there?

Are you getting a Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)? If you are, get the code read. Autozone will do the job at no charge.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

new info on transmission problems

Goldstar,

I talked to my son and he's not getting the MIL light; however, he drove it again around in the neighborhood yesterday and found something further. When you put the trans in neutral, it's actually in drive and will change gears. Apparently the other night we had the shifter in drive but it was actually in second. So, could the lever be out of sync with the gearbox somehow?

Probably our next step is to tow it to the Mazda dealership as the trans also seems to be overheating some when you drive it at all. Or at least it seems to be.

Does this extra info give enough clues for further suggestions?

Comment

What comes up when you put the car in park? Is it reading R on the indicator by the shifter?

As for the overheating, what makes you think it is? Are you getting a weird smell? Is the car behaving differently? Check the fluid level/condition first, before you let Mazda have a crack at it. If it's low/in bad condition, you might just need to address that to have the issue resolved.
        1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

According to my son, when he puts the transmission in park it says P or R or 1 or sometimes N. He doesn't think it is low on any fluids as trans fluid was added recently.

Comment

Tow is somewhere.. you need to have the computer scanned.. the OD light flashing is an indication of trouble codes.. that will give you a better direction of whats wrong.. 2nd gear only with an od flashing light meens the computer has put the car into a fail safe mode (limp home mode) because its seen a problem.. do not drive it hard or far in that mode as you will burn out the transmission if it isn't all ready..

Comment

Working...
            X