Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vehicle Speed Sensor

Hey Guys,
    I have been reading through your forums for the past few weeks, and found myself having to join the forum. I own a 2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0L. I have no formal training as a mechanic (actually more mechanically challenged than a 3 yr old). Anyways, just by reading your forums, I have changed the oil and filter in my car (wow DIY saves a lot of money), and changed the spark plugs (NGK factory to Autolite XP Xtreme Iridium). I now want to change the transmission fluid. I have read your forum (others also), and was wondering which is the overall consensus about what type of fluid to use (Royal Purple or Red Line). My car has a manual transmission.

Now for my actual question, a couple of months ago, my speedometer was working then starting dying (driving-would go to zero and back up). It finally died, and is not working (check engine light is now on constantly----was flickering on and off when the speedometer died). The rest of the instrument cluster is working properly. I disconnected the battery to reset the check engine light. I comes back on after a few minutes. The ODB code is P0500. Any ideas?

i have the same problem, just gotta replace the speed sensor which is JUST about $134 lol

Comment

Welcome to the Forum.

Lil Leah is correct, of course.

P0500: Vehicle speed sensor circuit malfunction

I use Red Line MT90.

Just curious. When you upgraded your OEM spark plugs, why did you select Autolite rather than NGK or Denso?

Happy Motoring!
      Last edited by goldstar; 04-20-2010, 01:07 PM.
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. If I could get the VSS for $134, that would make my day. NAPA in Buffalo said $210, and here in Ontario, Canada, they quoted me $315.

I have read that people around here like Red Line MT-90. I have looked around for it, but cannot. Could be due to the area I'm in. I'll keep looking though. Do you know the roundabout price?

I have had NGK spark plugs since I bought the car five years ago. I was in the US for my daughters dance comp. and decided to go to NAPA there. I was looking for an upgrade because I have had problems with power (acceleration, and starting) since I got the car. I asked the guys there (plus some research on the internet), and found that the new Bosch Fusion Iridium and Autolite Iridium were pretty good. They did not have any Bosch in stock, and decided to take a chance. Got the Autolites, and have been very happy with them since installation. Right away I noticed the Iridiums gave more constistent power when accelerating, and the car was starting quicker. Anyone could contribute those changes to new spark plugs, but having OEM NGK installed previous times, I knew the feel of the car. By far this is the best. I got lucky I guess.
        Last edited by Big Willy; 04-20-2010, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Your welcome.

I'm lucky enough to have a Red Line dealer at a local speed shop only 8-miles from my house. Currently, he's selling MT-90 at US $10/quart.

It's good the Autolite spark plugs are working out so well for you. The reason I asked was that I've never used anything but NGK or Denso so I wondered how the Autolites would perform.

After switching to iridium/platinum plugs, I also noticed increased acceleration off the line, and through the gears, as well as noticeably faster throttle response. Definitely worth the higher cost.

Happy Motoring!
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

I have to agree. The iridium/platinum plugs provide consistent power, even through switching gears. When I switched out the spark plugs NGK, I found gaps of .060 to .080. This could be due to needing them changed. I set the new ones to .042 (mid- recommended range).

I can't believe how much money I save by DIY. I look at this as computers. I fix and custom build computers and software for a hobby, and its such a great sense of accomplishment.

Thanks again for your help.

For Red Line MT-90, do you use GPL-4 or GPL-5? They appear to have two different products?
            For Royal Purple Max Gear, this fluid is recommended for both.

Comment

Red Line MT-90 is available only as an API Service GL-4 oil. According to the FSM, our Proteges can use either GL-4 or GL-5 M/T oil. So Red Line MT-90 would be an excellent choice.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

man that sux that they want so much for the speed sensor in ur area, the lowest ive found it is $134 and the highest is $170 in my area

Comment

I'll just have to take a quick trip to Buffalo. $15 in gas is worth saving the $150.

Comment

Working...
                  X