No announcement yet.

newb buying a gtx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, someone is parting out a GTX on the yahoo forum. I'd check there.

Comment

thanks for the response on the hla's that give me a little piece of mind. as far as back bench i dont have one. my interior is totally gutted, just two buckets and a dash... figure i might want to take a few people on the dirt sometimes. i will check for the mercury. i would rather not go through the hassle of shipping them, unless i can get em shipped for 20 bucks???

throwing the head back on this weekend, also im wanting to delete my a/c any write ups on that?? not quite sure what my car is totally compatible with so i dont know which thread i can follow.

one more thing i have a inner cooler that came with it that is silver and larger than the stock one and it says ford radiator on the bottom? with some fabbing i should be able to get it in there, looks like the hoses come out of the bottom instead of the top but i will prob just run it upside down... anyone know what car that would be out of? is it the ford probe fmic?

ohh also i have the front bumper just plastic bit but no metal brackets i guess, what cars could i pull those of off?

Comment

post pictures of the IC (and your car while you're at it). I'd bet it's a probe unit.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
        1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
        1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
        1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
        1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

Originally posted by 808 View Post
          post pictures of the IC (and your car while you're at it). I'd bet it's a probe unit.
          yea gotta get my camera back from my buddy i will post pics... hopefully it will be running in the next few days, haha im in love with it and i have not even driven it yet... im stupid. anyways thanks for the help. the head gasket set i got is for a b6e motor. will i be alright? seems like its the same thing just short of a turbo gasket?

Comment

is this what i want as far as studs goes? im guessing this comes with everything i need studs and nuts. this is about the same price as kia head bolts so i figure just upgrade.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ARP-M...Q5fAccessories

Comment

That is it....I paid 4.00 each for the Kia bolts X10= 40.00

Comment

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
                That is it....I paid 4.00 each for the Kia bolts X10= 40.00
                what! i called kia here and they quoted me 10 bucks a piece? are they stronger at all or just pretty much oem.

Comment

just ordered apr studs... weeeeee, nothing like a little more credit card debt to pour into a money pit.

Comment

car is back together, fired up tonight. just plugged in enough wires pretty much to get it started its a mess in there. anyways the tick is still there, its really a loud slap knock like deal. still believe its an hla? we think but not sure? could one just be collapsed or not working anymore? where would i get some spares? thinking maybe junkyard for some and for new ones possibly online? might just try and replace one at a time till we find one that stops that slap.... also my exhaust mani is totally cracked, where would i go about getting another one? possibly one that could house a larger turbo?

thanks stoked to get the car started again tonight after weeks of it being under the knife.

Comment

Well if the motor hasn't been started in weeks... I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. Drive it for a bit... or rev it up to 2k and hold it there for like 15-20 minutes... If i don't drive my car all week when I travel my car ticks like a grandfather clock.

1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead

Comment

hmmm, mines as quiet as can be after a few week slumber. Then again, the whole motors new. How long did you let it run for after putting it back together? My new HLA's took over 2 hours to quiet down, even then, they where real noisy till I shut the engine down for the night. Come out the next day and drove it, they quieted down quite a bit. By the end of the day, they where very quiet.
                        Mazda
                        1988 Black 323 GT
                        DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

haha well let it warm up a bunch the next day, decided to drive to the store to maybe throw some sea foam in it and i believe the tick went away but i picked up a rod knock. few blocks down the street decided to turn around because it was getting louder, PING! DING! CLUNK! SPRING! i heard that and it was over, haha it ran a few more seconds with no knock! yay! threw a rod....

where can i get a motor out of or from? any parts salvagable? super big bummer but fixing a rod knock would have sucked as well so i figure its alright that it blew a big hole out of the front of my oil pan, think im gonna wear the alluminum piece around my neck.

Comment

pm sent
                            2003 Protege5
                            1990 Protege LX (sold)
                            1990 Protege DX (sold)
                            1992 626 (sold)

Common abbreviations and jargon on Club Protege: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34116

Comment

can a just keep my intake and exhaust mani and get a b6 and swap em in? or possibly even get a 1.8? regardless a n/a 1.6 would be stronger than the b6t correct?

Comment

NA is not stronger. The block is the same but the GTX rods are way stronger and NLA. The manifolds will bolt up to a 1.6 but not a 1.8. I can't tell you how much of a vast difference the 1.8L swap makes though.

Comment

Working...
                                X