Jeffs MSP GTR Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vtec-this View Post
    seems that either the geometry of the 1.6/2.0 oem engine mount setup is not perfect, or dorman control arms/balljoints are just complete crap (which would not surprise me as they are pretty cheap).

changed both sides not too long ago. started to notice some popping sounds and vague steering last week so i jacked up the car yesterday and found all kinds of play in the drivers side ball joint. passenger side was fine.

seems to have lots of play in the wheel assembly, i could almost pull it out with the bolt in and properly torqued. Using Mazda OEM nut/bolts to clamp the ball joint.

dont feel any sort of axle bind and everything seems lined up properly, car steered/handled great up until recently so i am going to assume the dorman control arm was just crap and replace. If it happens again I might need to look into this further.
    Hmmn?! I had quite the opposite problem when replacing mine.. The ball joints did not want to go in my spindles with any sort of ease and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a fight getting them back out if I have to replace them for any reason. I cleaned the insides to a polish and even greased the bastards, still major resistance going in... I wonder if it's a quality control problem?

Flyrtle 6.0 Dynojet @ 15psi on BP26 ECU 229.31 whp / 229.95 ft-lb
    HPLogic Mustang Dyno @ 15psi on MS1 v3 226 whp / 195 ft-lb [HD Video]
    Soon to be powered by a Precision snail on crack...

Add me on more pictures of my projects can be found there.

Comment

a Bit of an update. Cant believe I never did this years ago when I first swapped.

Since the 1st gen 1.8 crossmember did not fit the 3rd gen 2.0 chasis I had basically modified the stock EGT cross member to work with the 3rd gen mounting locations by
      cutting out part of the rear to clear the subframe and cut anything forward of the front engine mount. Then I used a second piece which was welded/bolted to the front and
      bolted into the 2 front mounting locations of the car. To make it all work I also had to weld in a piece to significantly lower the rear mounting point.

It was always a pain in the ass and also did not allow me to run any sort of front under car brace piece (forget what the oem brace is called) as the modded crossmember was always in the way.

Well after dealing with a ****ty cross member (undercarriage) since I did the swap years ago I finally deleted the dam thing.

This time around I took a 29 inch long, ~4.5 inch wide piece of scrap metal and made a brace that uses the STOCK 3rd gen mounting locations for the under car brace and lined up perfectly with the rear mount.

So this bar goes horizontally across the engine bay,adds support to the chasis just like the OEM brace and holds the rear transmission mount better than any 1st gen crossmember ive ever used (even in 1st gen cars).

This took care of the rear mountnicely and added some bracing which should help.

To take care of the front mount I simply made a " T " with some scrap industrial L brackets which worked fantasic and is very rigid.

I have put about 100KM on the car so far and everything feels great. I am now using 4 OEM soft engine mounts. I have zero engine vibrations in the cabin and everything holds together fairly tight.

I might throw a insert in the rear mount eventually if I can find one for sale, but for now it is 100% fine.

I am going to drive it for another week and if all goes well I am going to remove the 2 pieces made with scrap metal and reproduce them with thicker / nicer metal and properly grind / paint em.

I will take some pics of the finished product.

So essentially for anyone who wants a 1.8BP swap with all stock OEM mounts:

You need a 1.6 auto Passenger side mount, a 2.0 FSDE Top transmission mount, Front and Rear 1st gen moounts and about $10 in scrap metal.

This works much better than trying to use a crossmember.

Best of all I think I lost quite a bit of weight compared the stock crossmember and gained chasis bracing.

S197 Mustang GT Convertible The New DD. (Ford Racing 3.73/JLT CAI/SCT SF3 Tuner/Ford Racing Exhaust)
      2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Maximus Tractionous Wifeymobilious
      Previous ~ 235whp 1.8 BP Powered 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege ~ - Sold

Comment

hopefully it works out for you. Not running anything under the trans case to protect it from bottom outs?

Flyrtle 6.0 Dynojet @ 15psi on BP26 ECU 229.31 whp / 229.95 ft-lb
        HPLogic Mustang Dyno @ 15psi on MS1 v3 226 whp / 195 ft-lb [HD Video]
        Soon to be powered by a Precision snail on crack...

Add me on more pictures of my projects can be found there.

Comment

the exhaust and the front trans mount "T" bracket are the lowest points of the car now.

Before it was the cross-member and the exhaust.

I have to drive through snow half the year so I have no plans to lower the car any further. I have a set of trimmed MSP springs that make the car just a bit lower than stock. Any lower in the snow and I would be plowing everything.

S197 Mustang GT Convertible The New DD. (Ford Racing 3.73/JLT CAI/SCT SF3 Tuner/Ford Racing Exhaust)

Comment

to give you a better idea.

im guna clean up/paint next week.

Comment

Next project is building a flat undertray that is supported by the rear trans mount bar and reinstalling my splash guards for winter.
              Last edited by vtec-this; 12-08-2013, 03:52 PM.

Comment

well after 11 years of zoom zoom and almost 300,000km of fun I sold the MSP to Lukas (SilverProto5 on toprotege.com) and we are putting the drivetrain into his clean 1st gen protege.

Not sure what his plans are for my spicy but here is a link to his 1st gen build thread:

Thanks to all for the help over the years.

It was a fun project and is still running strong. Vote for Lukas @ MOM next meet. His 1st gen will be a beast with my big turbo drivetrain + even lighter chassis.

Comment

sad to see it go. but at least it has a new home.
                  whats your next project?
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                  he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

well i used all of the money from the car to front the expenses for my wedding in April (dress, rings, priest, down payment on venue, tux, shoes, flowers, invitations etc).

Depending on how things go at the wedding I am hoping to make the $ back providing everyone covers the cost of their plate. If that is the case I am going to be looking for something rwd or awd. So far thinking of: RX-8, MS6, MR-2 Spyder

I also bought a 09 AWD nissan rogue with that CVT trans cooler / paddle shift package for my wife to drive (which has been alot more fun in the snow then I thought it would be once you turn off all the safety systems) and took over her newer Mazda6 as my DD so at least I have something fun to cruise in the meantime while I decide on next vehicle.
                    Last edited by vtec-this; 03-17-2014, 10:45 PM.

Comment

---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

vtec-this, I recently purchased a bj Familia with a bp-t engine swap with bpt ecu, GTR injectors & a Toyota vaf. The car needs some sorting out regarding some electrics and I would love your advise to assist me in solving some of these challenges I'm currently encountering.

The Speedometer & reverse light not working. This is because the of the bp gearbox being used. Did you get yours to work? If yes, how did you do it?
                        Last edited by mazkam; 06-09-2014, 12:25 PM.

Comment

The speedo is ran off of the wheel sensors on the BJ protege. And the reverse lights are from the sensor on the front of the trans, All it does is detect a voltage or current going through the connection when you put it into reverse, then it turns on the lights. Correct me if I am wrong on the how the reverse sensor works but from what I know, when you put it into reverse something contacts that sensor completes the circuit that turns the lights on.
                          Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                          "Who Dey"

Comment

Working...
                          X