I don't make money, I make gifts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't make money, I make gifts....

I got paid with a 2000 Plymouth Neon LX today. The waterpump went out on it and it is an interference engine, so I won't know the extent of the damage until after I complete a borescope on it tomorrow night.

Hopefully, this will make for a decent daily driver so that I can put the Protege in the garage, tear it down, and rebuild it the way I really wanted to when I bought it years ago.

Wish me luck.

miss my '93 LX at every corner
    photo album
    Catch me on Facebook

what does the water pump have to do with it being an interference engine? maybe im missing something. lol

i could understand if it snapped a timing belt or something..

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

I have personally seen a number of 2.4 timing belts let go without killing the motor... considering the 2.0 is a little brother to the 2.4 I would lean towards you being on the safe side.

enjoy!
      There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

Yeah i'd say you're safe... Ive done 3 or 4 neons with snapped belts and they worked out fine.

I also had a 2.4 stratus that someone timed a tooth off on the exhaust side and it ran fine but stalled @ lights.... so i dont think the interference is that great

94 Pro LX- 3-hole. Familia seats, Infini Corners, Familia Grille, Familia Rear Garnish w/Rear fogs EDM Glass headlights,
        MSP Mazdaspeed Muffler,Mazdaspeed front strut bar,'00 Pro ES wheels, Neuspeed Springs,GR2s, MX3 wheel, MX3 Tall armrest

Comment

You're fine. The water pump has nothing to do with the valves hitting the pistons.
          I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
          |.....Overnight....................| ||
          |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
          |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
          "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
          Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

water pump seized. water pump runs off of timing belt. therefore, if the teeth are ripped off the timing belt = no more timing and valves are bound to impact pistons. ...pretty simple really.

anyways, the car died and the kid who was driving it didn't hear anything, but they never do. I've still got my fingers crossed. It's possible that it just jumped time and died without smacking the valves. possible but unlikely.

also: the 2.4L is not an interference motor. a little homework goes a long way!

I'll keep ya posted.
            photo album
            Catch me on Facebook

Comment

just remove the valves and bend them back
              sigpic

Comment

If the belt breaks on these cars the valve will deff hit. hopefully he didn't try and turn it over a few times and just made things worse.
                hello 4g63 nice to meet you

Comment

Didn't do the borescope today. Had a dinner get together on the deck instead. I'll keep ya posted.
                  photo album
                  Catch me on Facebook

Comment

Hopefully it isn't messed up too bad. Maybe the water pump just disintegrated and everything else is fine on it. If not, well, those 2.0 Mopar engines shouldn't be too expensive. And if it is dead, then being a Neon, it got what it deserved.
                    1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

Valves are mashed. I'm still going to fix it but... F-BOMB!
                      photo album
                      Catch me on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                      X