GhettoFab brass shifter bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by me109 View Post
    The one in the shifter itself. Not on the cables.

I started with a threaded brass pipe plug with a 3/8" square head. Then I cut off the threaded part, leaving only the head.

I drilled a 11/64" hole through the middle. It was too small, so I enlarged it gradually. 13/64" was the magic number.

The sides need to be trimmed. I did not measure the final width. I had the shifter assembly next to me, so I just kept checking the fit. I trimmed it with an upside-down belt sander wearing a fairly course grit belt. I think it was 80 grit. Brass is very soft. I scraped the block against the sander while it was *NOT* running.
    just wanna say this was a pretty smart way to invent a bushing. and it works well. got mine finished tonight. i forgot to buy sandpaper though and it was already torn apart so i sat on the concrete garage floor and used that as my sandpaper ha. i didn't think it would work. it took awhile but i did work! anyways, just wanted to say thanks for the cheap improvment
    Click image for larger version

Name:	shifter bushing.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	1230857
    My Cardomain page:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3208491 -->

Comment

hey guys. on this thread i have noticed that i have the same shifter (my car as me109 might have noticed, is....rear)
      i can see on the photo on your photobucket that there is a spring in the mix, is that standard?

also, did any of you guys buy use or make bushes for the under hood end?
      mine both seem to measure 8mm for the pin, and 26.5mm to fit into the cable eye.

im not getting any good info on the kits, if they come with two of the same size or what?

thanks for ya help!

Comment

It's been a long time since I looked at this, so I'm not sure about the spring. It must have one somewhere to make it return to center.

The transaxle-side cable end bushings are the subject of another thread in this section, but I remember it being a kit for a Lancer Evo 8 (I think) with the 6-speed.

jwaxt200, I'm just now seeing your post from 2012! Glad you found it useful.
        1990 Protege 4WD
        GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
        ├┼┤
        2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

My one dosnt seem to even have a hole for a spring to grab onto....oh well its beside the point.

Any idea what size the evo8 bushes are? I have seen on some kits that the eVo 6 speed bush kit comes with two sized bushes, whereas I only need one size, (8 mm I'D 26.5mmOD)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Comment

This probably belongs in the other thread.

Here is a picture of what I used. It fit perfectly for me. If memory serves, the Evo 5-speed has one huge bushing and one about the size you describe, but the 6-speed has two bushings of approximately the same size. As pictured in the linked post from the other thread.
            1990 Protege 4WD
            GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
            ├┼┤
            2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
              This probably belongs in the other thread.

Here is a picture of what I used. It fit perfectly for me. If memory serves, the Evo 5-speed has one huge bushing and one about the size you describe, but the 6-speed has two bushings of approximately the same size. As pictured in the linked post from the other thread.
              Yeah I know but they all have a diffrent gear stick setup to you and I.

So you used the 6 speed? I in the photo they look diffrent sizes.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X