This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Further Evaluations

Having driven the car extensively since the line change, I can now add to my initial impressions. I had already reported that the more rigid line resulted in the clutch pedal requiring more force to depress, due to the lack of the volumetric expansion characteristic of the OEM rubber line, leading to an ability to regulate the clutch more precisely over varying driving conditions. Presumably, this characteristic is a function of the more direct connection between pedal movement and clutch operation. This phenomenon has held up over time and is perhaps the most noticeable, and useful, benefit of the line change. It also makes possible better launches coming off the line due to the improved clutch feel.

Now that I've had the opportunity to engage in stop and start slow speed driving, the ability to regulate the clutch more precisely does result in the ability to keep the car moving more smoothly, and with less effort, in these annoying situations, FWIW.

Finally, I had mentioned that sometimes I experienced resistance and an audible clunk from the synchros during fast shifting which I had attributed possibly to my failure to fully disengage the clutch during these shortened time intervals. It then occurred to me that the volumetric expansion of the OEM line may have lengthened the time required for the full hydraulic force to be applied to the clutch release lever thus preventing the clutch from being fully released before the stick was moved, even though I had depressed the clutch pedal to the limit of its travel. If this was the case then the new stainless steel line should enable faster, smoother shifts without stressing the synchros. As reported, my initial tests were inconclusive here.

Further testing demonstrated that, with the stainless steel line in place, in general faster shifts were possible without provoking complaint from the synchros, indicating that volumetric expansion of the OEM line was indeed part of the problem. However, some of the problem is inherent in the synchros themselves as it was still possible to stress them if one really pushed it - which is why I use an MP3 shifter as opposed to an aftermarket fast shifter.

These longer term results reinforce my contention that this is a worthwhile mod.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

For the past week i've been curious as to when your scientific observations would be complete. It is interesting that as suspected the volumetric expansion of the OEM line was making the efficiency of the clutch actuation decrease in a manor that would possibly stress the syncros in an irreversible state of wear.
      Have you considered replacing the brake lines yet?
      I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
      |.....Overnight....................| ||
      |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
      |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
      "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
      Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Nate, after the improvement you and Jon noted from changing to stainless steel brake lines, I'll definitely be making the switch myself. I plan to do it sometime in the early Fall.

Happy Motoring!
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

So, as monoxide child said, many of the mazda clutch lines are the same. Can anyone confirm this and where can I get one?
          -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
          VF10 powered!
          262 Whp & 257 Wtq
          13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

My understanding is that the end fittings are the same but the length varies across different models. This is probably why Techna-Fit lists different parts numbers for different models. After all, if one size fits all then different parts numbers wouldn't be needed. As to whether the varying lengths would present a fitment problem on any given model, I couldn't say.

Techna-Fit SS clutch lines can be ordered from Techna-Fit and Horsepower Freaks (websites in post #1), as well as other vendors.

Happy Motoring!
            Last edited by goldstar; 08-16-2010, 06:44 PM.

Comment

ah, well I just went ahead and bought one from Corksport
              -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
              VF10 powered!
              262 Whp & 257 Wtq
              13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

replaced my clutch line the same time i replaced the slave/master cylinders. the clutch line is a straight forward install thanks in no small part to goldstar's writeup.

i had the chance to purchase a goodridge brand PVC coated stainless steel line for not much more than the techna-fit. this would have been similar to the coated clutch line theman talks about in his posts. however i recieved a non-coated line. emailing the retailer, i received some information from goodridge:
                normally goodridge lines are uncoated, with stainless steel braiding. it turns out that to meet demand, they switched to a PVC coated line and have since returned to using the non-coated lines in their normal production. what does this mean? if you want a coated line go with the technafit or any other brand that is guaranteed to be coated. you are taking chances with a goodridge brand line, unless they are going to custom order for you in which case expect a long lead time (5-6 weeks was what i was quoted).

what to do? returning and buying a technafit line would lose me some money and some time. took a page from off-road and wrapped it in sprial wrap used for electrical wire. http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/1203.../photo_03.html

this works for me because i had been wondering how to bring the little foam tube that cushions the OEM hose, this works fine. you could secure the spiral wrap with zip ties if you'd like but if you buy the right size for your clutch line it'll stay snug.

Comment

Working...
                X