This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equipping the 2.0 L FS-DE with the MP3 PCM

Recently, the question came up of "re-chipping" the 2.0 L engine. Although I've already posted this information, it's buried in another thread and therefore won't be easily accessible to those searching for this information, in particular. Consequently, I'm reposting it in a separate thread to enhance its visibility.

In 2001 (for that year only), Mazda came out with a special version of the Protege called the MP3. Engine mods were minimal and consisted of a reprogrammed PCM that permitted a more advanced ignition timing curve. Unlike the stock PCM, it could "read" the octane rating of the fuel in use and adjust the ignition advance accordingly. Thus, one could run 87 octane with reduced timing for economy or use plus or premium with correspondingly more advanced timing and greater HP output. The part # is FS9N-18-881C.

Additionally, a tuned Racing beat, low restriction muffler was fitted along with, I believe, a larger crossover pipe.

Finally, the intake manifold was less restrictive due to the absence of VTCS (variable tumble control system). VTCS consists of a set of butterflies inside the manifold that helps provide lower emissions during cold startup. After warmup is complete, the butterflies are fully open but still provide some restriction due to the presence of the plates and shaft. In the standard protege, this assembly permits the car to have a ULEV emissions classification instead of the LEV rating of the MP3. Incidently, VTCS can be removed from the stock Protege intake manifold.

There were no other engine mods and the intake system (other than VTCS) was completely stock, identical to the standard Protege.

Results
    FS-DE (stock)
    130 BHP (97 kW) @ 6,000 rpm
    135 lbs/ft (183 N-m) torque @ 4,000 rpm

FS-DE (MP3 version)
    140 BHP (104 kW) @ 6,000 rpm
    142 lbs/ft (193 N-m) torque @ 4,500 rpm

Three relatively simple mods provided an increase of 8% BHP and 5% torque. Not a lot perhaps but it shows what a few simple mods can do.

Happy Motoring!
    Last edited by goldstar; 11-09-2011, 07:43 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

yea. its actually a common mod. specially with the pro5 crowd. a local here in rockford named probin94 on mazdas247 has a mp3 ecu in his p5. guess there a plug and play thing even.
    ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
    ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
    What are you driving?

Comment

That is correct. The MP3 ECU is a simple swap and is plug and play. The MP3 ECU has an advanced engine timing map and requires premium gas (91+). Racing Beat tuned the ECU for optimized drivetrain management, causing an overall increase in engine stability. Because of this, you gain an average of 7hp and a smoother torque curve. Outside of a standalone system, the MP3 ECU is the best engine management upgrade you can get for the FS-DE.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazdawarbird View Post
        That is correct. The MP3 ECU is a simple swap and is plug and play. The MP3 ECU has an advanced engine timing map and requires premium gas (91+). Racing Beat tuned the ECU for optimized drivetrain management, causing an overall increase in engine stability. Because of this, you gain an average of 7hp and a smoother torque curve. Outside of a standalone system, the MP3 ECU is the best engine management upgrade you can get for the FS-DE.
        With the lower compression on the stock DE 9.1/1 as opposed to 10.4/1 would you still NEED to use premium gas? And also any idea about how mileage is affected? I thought about doing this with upgraded cams from cork sport. Also a cat back like a magnaflow ( dont want to sound like rice).

Comment

Originally posted by Mazdawarbird View Post
          Originally posted by talltim View Post
          With the lower compression on the stock DE 9.1/1 as opposed to 10.4/1 would you still NEED to use premium gas? And also any idea about how mileage is affected? I thought about doing this with upgraded cams from cork sport. Also a cat back like a magnaflow ( dont want to sound like rice).
          An MP3 PCM equipped FS-DE engine does not require the use of premium gasoline. Use of premium is a choice, not a need and has nothing to do with the CR in this case. See the explanation in post #1. You decide whether you want more power or less-costly gasoline.

Happy Motoring!
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Where could i possibly find a MP3 PCM for sale?
            Zoom Zoom Zoom............

Comment

You could try ebay or possibly look for a wrecked MP3 at a junkyard. You could also try posting in the Wanted to Buy section on some of the Mazda forums.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
                You could try ebay or possibly look for a wrecked MP3 at a junkyard. You could also try posting in the Wanted to Buy section on some of the Mazda forums.

Happy Motoring!
                Alright thanks brother,got like three wreckers by me so ill look there,dont really trust ebay too much,also does anyone know where i can find a guide on how to mod my intake manifold and remove the VTCS?
                Zoom Zoom Zoom............

Comment

Can this MP3 ecu be added to an automatic trany? What is the part numbers?

Comment

Since the MP3 was only available with a M/T, I highly doubt that its PCM would work with an A/T. Sorry, I don't know its part #.

Edit: I found what I think is the part # and placed it in post #1.

Happy Motoring!
                    Last edited by goldstar; 04-11-2012, 06:54 AM.

Comment

hey!

where can i buy this mp3 ecu?

greets

Comment

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ happy hunting

Comment

Originally posted by Sporty View Post
                          where can i buy this mp3 ecu?
                          from someone parting out a MP3 protege.
                          ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                          ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                          What are you driving?

Comment

how does the ecu "know the fuel grade" i have issues getting my head around that. please explain
                            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                              how does the ecu "know the fuel grade" i have issues getting my head around that. please explain
                              ecu's of that age dont "know" the fuel grade per say. they have a timing advance table setup for premium and will listen to the knock sensor and pull timing till everything is gravy. so in otherwords the ecu plans for premium and adjusts for lower octane as needed.
                              "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                              -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                              *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                              172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                              New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Working...
                              X